Eudora and Linux
KenK
2017-12-04 17:30:37 UTC
My Compaq backup computer is having lots of problems with Win XP but seems
- with a quick check - to do well with its dual-booted Ubuntu Linux. I'd
like to find a Linux email utility that will also read Eudora 7.1 files.
That way I can use the Compaq as a backup sysem without convertng my main
computer to Linux and havng to set it up wth all the replacement software.

Same problem with my Xnews newsreader.

Any suggestions?

TIA
Dennis Lee Bieber
2017-12-04 18:54:51 UTC
Post by KenK
My Compaq backup computer is having lots of problems with Win XP but seems
- with a quick check - to do well with its dual-booted Ubuntu Linux. I'd
like to find a Linux email utility that will also read Eudora 7.1 files.
That way I can use the Compaq as a backup sysem without convertng my main
computer to Linux and havng to set it up wth all the replacement software.
Pretty much any UNIX historical mail client can read MBOX format, and
Eudora uses a variant of MBOX (it cheats on exactly how to mark the message
boundary -- using the TOC file to mark status). The trick will be to make
the new client aware of an externally provided MBOX file.
Post by KenK
Same problem with my Xnews newsreader.
News readers may be a different matter -- since one is going to have to
do a "catch up" operation to get a new subscription up to the current
status of the server, and they each may use their own internal database of
read/unread (Agent 1.x used to use a UNIX-common newsrc file, but that
feature disappeared with later releases).

Simplest may be to just archive the current messages into a long text
file.
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
***@ix.netcom.com HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
Will Seehorn
I don't use Linux, so this is hearsay. I understand that there is a program for it (Wine?) that emulates Windows.
rickman
2018-01-10 13:51:22 UTC
Post by Will Seehorn
Post by KenK
My Compaq backup computer is having lots of problems with Win XP but seems
- with a quick check - to do well with its dual-booted Ubuntu Linux. I'd
like to find a Linux email utility that will also read Eudora 7.1 files.
That way I can use the Compaq as a backup sysem without convertng my main
computer to Linux and havng to set it up wth all the replacement software.
Same problem with my Xnews newsreader.
Any suggestions?
TIA
I don't use Linux, so this is hearsay. I understand that there is a program for it (Wine?) that emulates Windows.
Even I know what WINE stands for, "WINE is not an emulator".
--
Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998