Eudora 7 and Windows 10 -do they work?
csmdave
2015-08-20 21:55:39 UTC
a new PC is sraig me in the face and this is one of my questions.
My son is after me to go Apple -how does Eudora work with Apple?

csmdave
Ajo Wissink
2015-08-20 22:52:58 UTC
On Thu, 20 Aug 2015 14:55:39 -0700 (PDT), csmdave
Post by csmdave
a new PC is sraig me in the face and this is one of my questions.
My son is after me to go Apple -how does Eudora work with Apple?
csmdave
Eudora works fine in Windows 10.

Apple has changed its operating system after the last release of the
Mac version of Eudora. That means that you cannot use Eudora on an
Apple computer.
b***@gmail.com
I find E crashes when I try to install it in 10. Any advice please?
b***@gmail.com
2015-10-01 16:24:15 UTC
I sorted it, just installed it all into one folder. Works fine then. Simples! :-)
Dennis Lee Bieber
2015-08-21 00:26:29 UTC
Post by csmdave
a new PC is sraig me in the face and this is one of my questions.
My son is after me to go Apple -how does Eudora work with Apple?
NO Windows applications will run on an Apple Macintosh -- unless you
are running Windows itself inside a virtualization package (or maybe under
WINE).

The last version of Eudora for Mac is version 6.x -- I don't know if
that is even compatible with OS-X. Nor if registration codes are available
for it (whereas there are a number of valid codes available to unlock
Windows Eudora 7.1)
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
***@ix.netcom.com HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
Paul Christensen
2015-10-12 16:28:36 UTC
Post by csmdave
a new PC is sraig me in the face and this is one of my questions.
My son is after me to go Apple -how does Eudora work with Apple?
csmdave
I just upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7. I have used Eudora 7.1.0.9. for years because of it's flexibility for my uses. I want to keep the app.

Here are some issues I have found:
Problems clicking links in emails - appears Win 10 is preventing links from working with none Microsoft browsers. Edge and IE work. Chrome and Firefox do not (when chosen as default

browser). I have to copy the link and paste it into Chrome.

Email attachment links will not open as they did in Win 7. I can get around this one if I right click open with and have the needed app in the list, but it's a hassle.

mailto: links work in Eudora.

Also all of the hyperlinks work in other apps like Office. In other words non Eudora apps are using the OS default for the operation.

I would sure like to know if others are having these issues and if there are any fixes
c***@gmail.com
Thanks Paul for sharing this information. I am going from Windows XP to Windows 7 and want to install Eudora which I have been using since the beginning so it is great to hear that you have had it working well with that combination. I am sorry you are having trouble using it with 10. Hopefully someone else will now how to solve this.
i***@gmail.com
2015-11-23 23:05:33 UTC
Post by csmdave
a new PC is sraig me in the face and this is one of my questions.
My son is after me to go Apple -how does Eudora work with Apple?
csmdave
This is how I got Eudora 7 to work with Windows 10:

How to run Eudora v7 on Windows 10
http://goo.gl/yOdRZA

It does not require re-installation of Eudora 7, and appears to run and store data in /Program Files/eudora
j***@gmail.com
2016-07-30 15:32:57 UTC
I think that one problem people may be having is user data is in the program files folder. Windows 10 may not like that. But also, Windows 10 installation deleted the address of the file folder where I keep the Eudora data files (mailboxes, folders, .ini file, attachments.) from the shortcut which starts the program I had the data in a folder outside the program files folder -- in another drive, in fact. Once I restored the address in the shortcut to Eudora, it worked. The shortcut that works looks like this: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Qualcomm\Eudora\Eudora.exe" "d:\eudora_data\"
l***@gmail.com
2018-02-06 17:16:24 UTC
I tried one suggestion
Use Windows Explorer to set Eudora to: Run as Administrator
which did nothing.
Then I edited the shortcut that calls Eudora to Run as Administrator, and that does work,
Dennis Lee Bieber
2018-02-06 17:36:44 UTC
Post by l***@gmail.com
I tried one suggestion
Use Windows Explorer to set Eudora to: Run as Administrator
which did nothing.
Then I edited the shortcut that calls Eudora to Run as Administrator, and that does work,
Should not have been needed -- unless you have misconfigured the
installation by having it store user data in the protected program files
directory.

The only other item is that, since Win7 changed registry locations for
some stuff, you have to turn OFF the option in Eudora that tries to set
itself as the system Email program (run ONCE as admin with that option ON
to create an initial registry entry, then turn the option off). You must
use the Win7/Win10 "set default programs" feature to define Eudora as the
email program to be used.

I've been using Eudora since Win95, through W98SE, WinXPpro, Win7Pro,
and now Win10Pro... And never need to run it in admin mode after the
initial configuration.