Moving to new Win 10 machine
rickman
2018-01-25 04:51:37 UTC
My Win 8 machine is having convulsions and I figured it is time to get a new
one.

I'm moving Eudora over and I am getting a strange error message,

"Can't start Eudora the first time with attachments

Please start Eudora by double clicking the icon or by the command line"

I'm not even sure what this means. What attachments are there for Eudora?
I'm pretty sure I don't have any.

Win 10 sets up a bit differently than any other windows I've used. It asked
me to set up an email account then used that as my user name. So the user
name is not the same between the two machines. I had to edit the
deudora.ini file line from this

DataFolder=C:\Users\Rick\AppData\Eudora

DataFolder=C:\Users\ColdW\AppData\Eudora

But that's where all the mail folders are, so it should be right.

I'm not sure what else there is to change. Any clues?
--
Rick C

on the centerline of totality since 1998
Dennis Lee Bieber
2018-01-25 14:51:14 UTC
On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 23:51:37 -0500, rickman
Post by rickman
My Win 8 machine is having convulsions and I figured it is time to get a new
one.
I'm moving Eudora over and I am getting a strange error message,
"Can't start Eudora the first time with attachments
Please start Eudora by double clicking the icon or by the command line"
I'm not even sure what this means. What attachments are there for Eudora?
I'm pretty sure I don't have any.
What are you clicking on when you get that message?
Post by rickman
Win 10 sets up a bit differently than any other windows I've used. It asked
me to set up an email account then used that as my user name. So the user
Didn't force that for me... I've been using "Root" for my admin
account, and "Wulfraed" for my daily user account since WinXP, Win7, and
Win10.

The only time it played stupid games with an email account was when I
had to register to get Visual Studio Express. The next time I rebooted it
wanted a password for my user account (as a single user machine at home I
normally don't set a password for the user account, only the admin
account). Turns out Win10 decided to change my user account from local to a
M$ group (IE: it was using the registration information to validate me
against a M$ password server). Took me some time to reset my user account
to local.
Post by rickman
name is not the same between the two machines. I had to edit the
deudora.ini file line from this
DataFolder=C:\Users\Rick\AppData\Eudora
DataFolder=C:\Users\ColdW\AppData\Eudora
On my system, ...\AppData\Eudora is a shortcut, the actual data should
be in ...\AppData\Roaming\Qualcomm\Eudora

If you created a real \AppData\Eudora directory when copying stuff
over, that could be confusing Eudora.
Post by rickman
But that's where all the mail folders are, so it should be right.
deudora.ini is normally used to provide /defaults/ when initializing a
new user. The file that really should be checked, if you did copy the
entire data directory contents over, is eudora.ini.

In fact, my deudora.ini has NO user specific data in it...

[Settings]
NC=1
Code=NC
UseAppData=1

[Mappings]
out=txt,ttxt,TEXT,text,plain
both=doc,MSWD,,application,msword
out=mcw,MSWD,WDBN,application,msword
in=xls,XCEL,,,
out=xls,XCEL,XLS4,,
both=xlc,XCEL,XLC3,,
both=xlm,XCEL,XLM3,,
both=xlw,XCEL,XLW,,
{and more mappings, but that is IT -- the three items under Settings, and
lots of Mappings}
Post by rickman
I'm not sure what else there is to change. Any clues?
My "shortcut" icon properties just has

Target: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Qualcomm\Eudora\Eudora.exe"
Start In: {empty box}
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
***@ix.netcom.com HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
g***@gmail.com
2018-01-25 20:14:17 UTC
Post by rickman
[...]
I'm wondering if this is an issue with Windows faking out the location of read/write data files when installed in the Program Files directory? That's why there is a deudora.ini file. That is read to find the location of the eudora.ini file which is where all the real info is stored. Could Windows be messing with this and not showing Eudora *any* .ini file so it thinks it is starting cold?

Rick C.
g***@gmail.com
2018-01-25 21:45:08 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Post by rickman
[...]
Someone in another group suggested temporarily removing the .ini file. So I renamed it and still get the same message.

Does anyone understand what is meant by "attachments"? Attachments are files added to emails normally. What is meant in this case?

Rick C.
Dennis Lee Bieber
2018-01-26 02:13:04 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Someone in another group suggested temporarily removing the .ini file. So I renamed it and still get the same message.
Does anyone understand what is meant by "attachments"? Attachments are files added to emails normally. What is meant in this case?
I still haven't seen a detailed description of what you are using to
launch Eudora...

My suggestion...

Uninstall Eudora; delete any remnant C:\Program Files (x86)\Qualcomm
directory.

Rename %userprofile%\appdata\roaming\qualcomm to
%userprofile%\appdata\roaming\qualcomm-old (actually my preference would be
to delete this, and later obtain a copy from the Win8 machine)

Delete the shortcut %userprofile%\appdata\eudora

Reinstall Eudora as admin

Back to your user account

Right-click start menu -- Apps and Features; pick Default apps; select
Email; find Eudora in the drop down list and select it.

Now -- Start menu/Eudora/Eudora

Eudora should now run as a first-time user. Don't bother configuring a
user account -- the purpose was to let Eudora create user directories (the
ones I had you rename above) and shortcuts.

If that works, close Eudora, make a backup archive of
%userprofile%\appdata\roaming\qualcomm\eudora (right click, send to...
compressed (zip)). This is just so you can recover if the next step
corrupts things...

COPY %userprofile%\appdata\roaming\qualcomm-old to
%userprofile%\appdata\roaming\qualcomm (or copy from the Win8 machine)

This step should install the configuration you were using on Win8. Open
%userprofile%\appdata\roaming\qualcomm\eudora\eudora.ini in an editor and
check it for any path references which may have changed... Things to look
for:

AutoReceiveAttachmentsDirectory
which may be the one causing problems, since if you are using a Win8
eudora.ini, it is pointing a directory that doesn't exist

[Recent File List]
just delete the rows that start File# up to the next [<section name>]

Save the modified eudora.ini

Restart Eudora using the start menu path shown above. Do not use any
shortcuts you copied from the Win8 machine; best to delete them -- later
you can drag the menu icon to where ever you want a short cut.
Ajo Wissink
2018-01-27 20:53:58 UTC
Post by rickman
My Win 8 machine is having convulsions and I figured it is time to get a new
one.
I'm moving Eudora over and I am getting a strange error message,
"Can't start Eudora the first time with attachments
Please start Eudora by double clicking the icon or by the command line"
I searched for an answer to your question and came up empty. Then I
dropped a few words in a new question and had more success. You
misspelled "Can't". It is "Cannot" in the error message.

I am not going to reinvent the wheel, so here is the answer from the
eudora-win mailing list:

At 08:53 AM 9/30/2016 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
When I click to open Eudora, either in the Windows start menu or on
the taskbar shortcut, I receive two error messages:

1. File doesn't exist or is not writeable. I click out of that one,
and this one pops up:

2. Cannot start Eudora the first time with attachments. Please start
Eudora by double clicking the Eudora icon or by the command line.

I apologize if this was a recent conversation. I haven't been able to
keep up with messages because my mom is still sick.

Answer by Katrina Knight:

You don't need to actually keep up. You can just keep the list
messages so that you can look through them when you have a problem.
However, it is easy enough to answer this question again. The problem
is that something is wrong with the shortcut you're using to start
Eudora. It sounds to me like something in that update causes some kind
of corruption in it for a few people. The fix is to change or replace
the shortcut. Go to the shortcut's properties and look at what is in
the target field. The target should take the form
"c:\ProgramDirectory\eudora.exe" "c:\DataDirectory". If the data
directory isn't specified there, fix that. (Other people who've
reported this problem had the data directory specification in
deudora.ini rather than the shortcut, which should work fine if the
shortcut itself is working correctly.) That will most likely fix the
problem. Alternatively, you can just reinstall Eudora, choosing the
existing locations for the program and data directories and let Eudora
create a new shortcut for you.

Ajo Wissink
g***@gmail.com
2018-04-20 05:56:20 UTC
Post by rickman
[...]
It doesn't look like I ever thanked you for your help. You got me going back in January and again just now. I am moving to yet another machine and got the same obtuse error and tried the same fruitless Google search. Eventually I remembered this group and found your post again. :)

For my own benefit I posted a detailed list of the steps I took to get it ported and am reposting that here again in the hope I (and maybe others) will find it more easily.

Thanks again,

Rick C.

I am moving Eudora to another machine and I couldn't seem to get it to work with this same error. A google search didn't find the answer... again, but eventually I remembered that there is a Eudora newsgroup where I found the answer. So that I won't have to rummage around so much if I do this again... here are all the steps I needed to take to port Eudora between PCs.

1. Copy contents of C:\Program Files (x86)\Eudora\ directory to same place on new machine.

2. Copy contents of C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Eudora directory to same place on new machine, adjusted for new user name if needed.

3. If user name has changed, edit deudora.ini changing path in "DataFolder=" to point to the directory in step 2 above.

4. This is the tricky one I keep forgetting and causes the error "Cannot start Eudora the first time with attachments." The shortcut has to be edited to add the data directory as a parameter to the command like this...

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Eudora\Eudora.exe" "C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Eudora"

No need to change the "Start in" directory as that will point to the deudora.ini file although I'm not sure what good that does since it isn't sufficient to point Eudora to the data directory.

Anyway, these steps got my Eudora working under Win 10. I'm posting it in the Eudora newsgroup for my own use if nothing else.

Rick C.