Eudora open-sourced, C++ programmers desperately needed, let's get our favourite mail client up to date!
Add Reply
n***@gmail.com
2018-06-01 15:18:24 UTC
Hi all,

As you may know, the source code for our dearly beloved Qualcomm
Eudora eMail client was released under an open-source licence just a
week ago! As a big Eudora fan, I have taken the project under my
wing. I am looking for programmers to help out with resuming
development; accordingly, I have begun a project under the name Hermes
Messenger (https://sourceforge.net/projects/hermesmail/).

To do:

Globally replace string "Qualcomm Eudora" with "Hermes Messenger"
(legal reasons)
Update rich-text rendering engine; if possible, scrap and replace
with (modified?) Gecko or WebKit
Improve Unicode handling
Replace defunct Qualcomm Web search with Google or Yandex
An installer compatible with Windows Vista and better
out-of-the-box (NSIS might turn the trick?)
Cross-platform rebuild (C#/Avalonia perhaps?)
Figure out a replacement for RogueWave Stingray (MUST DO!)
Internationalisation and localisation
Do something with those god damn certificates!

Stingray (a MAJOR dependency) is not yet included in the source tree,
but discussions aimed at obtaining it(either as source or binary) are
under way. It WILL be included in the near future, but "writing around
it" (i.e. coding a replacement) IS A PRIORITY. The code is 20 years
old, legally encumbered, and will not compile on a modern system.

Applicants absolutely must be proficient in C++ and should understand
how to use the Hg source-management system. The latter is not a strict
requirement (instruction in Hg use will be given if needed) but
foreknowledge would be greatly appreciated. A basic understanding of
SQL is desirable as well.

Cordially,

Nick Werner-Matavka
Jim H
2018-06-01 18:13:54 UTC
On Fri, 1 Jun 2018 08:18:24 -0700 (PDT), in
Post by n***@gmail.com
Hi all,
As you may know, the source code for our dearly beloved Qualcomm
Eudora eMail client was released under an open-source licence just a
week ago! As a big Eudora fan, I have taken the project under my
wing.
[ snip ]
Post by n***@gmail.com
Update rich-text rendering engine; if possible, scrap and replace
with (modified?) Gecko or WebKit
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't improve rich-text (HTML) rendering to the
point that it will render potentially malicious content. Continue to
allow the user to disable all but the current basic rendering.
Post by n***@gmail.com
Improve Unicode handling
Yes! Sick and tired of a bunch of high ASCII characters in some UTF-8
messages.

Please provide an option to store sent messages as plain text - none
of those useless HTML tags - when no rich text was present in the
first place.

Thanks and good luck!
Jim H
g***@gmail.com
2018-06-01 23:08:12 UTC
Post by n***@gmail.com
[...]
Any idea how many Eudora users there still are? Just curious.

Rick C.
Steve Urbach
2018-06-02 16:05:36 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Any idea how many Eudora users there still are? Just curious.
Rick C.
Me :D
Paid to current (7) since 2.0
Mutley
2018-06-03 02:57:00 UTC
Post by Steve Urbach
Post by g***@gmail.com
Any idea how many Eudora users there still are? Just curious.
Rick C.
Me :D
Paid to current (7) since 2.0
My M-in-law still uses 7.0 paid but I gave up a couple of years ago
and went to Office 365..

It was a great email client in it's day. May have another look at it
if there is an update to the code..
g***@gmail.com
2018-06-03 05:55:10 UTC
Post by Mutley
Post by Steve Urbach
Post by g***@gmail.com
Any idea how many Eudora users there still are? Just curious.
Rick C.
Me :D
Paid to current (7) since 2.0
My M-in-law still uses 7.0 paid but I gave up a couple of years ago
and went to Office 365..
It was a great email client in it's day. May have another look at it
if there is an update to the code..
Just curious, what did you find lacking?

For me, the only issues I have are a few problems with viewing emails and the problems with getting it to work with new ISPs, mostly they don't want to be bothered with getting "obsolete" software to work with their stuff.

Rick C.
Larc
2018-06-03 06:23:53 UTC
On Sat, 2 Jun 2018 22:55:10 -0700 (PDT), ***@gmail.com wrote:

| Just curious, what did you find lacking?
|
| For me, the only issues I have are a few problems with viewing emails and the problems with getting it to work with new ISPs, mostly they don't want to be bothered with getting
| "obsolete" software to work with their stuff.

I have replied to email using Eudora a few times when the recipent sees only a blank
message section.

Larc
g***@gmail.com
2018-06-03 06:28:35 UTC
Post by Larc
| Just curious, what did you find lacking?
|
| For me, the only issues I have are a few problems with viewing emails and the problems with getting it to work with new ISPs, mostly they don't want to be bothered with getting
| "obsolete" software to work with their stuff.
I have replied to email using Eudora a few times when the recipent sees only a blank
message section.
That might have something to do with using HTML in messages. I know I see funny things sometimes in viewing messages where HTML settings persist from one section to the next. I don't think Eudora handles HTML as well as newer programs.

Rick C.
Jim H
2018-06-03 17:12:13 UTC
On Sat, 2 Jun 2018 22:55:10 -0700 (PDT), in
Post by g***@gmail.com
Post by Mutley
Post by Steve Urbach
Post by g***@gmail.com
Any idea how many Eudora users there still are? Just curious.
Rick C.
Me :D
Paid to current (7) since 2.0
My M-in-law still uses 7.0 paid but I gave up a couple of years ago
and went to Office 365..
It was a great email client in it's day. May have another look at it
if there is an update to the code..
Just curious, what did you find lacking?
For me, the only issues I have are a few problems with viewing emails and the problems with getting it to work with new ISPs, mostly they don't want to be bothered with getting "obsolete" software to work with their stuff.
Huh? Eudora works with both POP and IMAP. It does SSL/TLS. What more
is there?

The setup problem you describe sounds like nothing more than your own
inability to enter the correct server, ID and password info needed to
set up Eudora to work with a new email provider.
Jim H
Tim Streater
2018-06-03 17:26:44 UTC
Post by Jim H
Huh? Eudora works with both POP and IMAP. It does SSL/TLS. What more
is there?
More recent levels of SSL/TLS. I expect what Eudora implements is
obsolete.
Post by Jim H
The setup problem you describe sounds like nothing more than your own
inability to enter the correct server, ID and password info needed to
set up Eudora to work with a new email provider.
I never figured out what the personalities stuff was supposed to be
about. In my client I just enter different accounts with different ISP
details. Simples.
--
"Once you adopt the unix paradigm, the variants cease to be a problem - you
bitch, of course, but that's because bitching is fun, unlike M$ OS's, where
bitching is required to keep your head from exploding." - S Stremler in afc
Mutley
2018-06-03 22:42:43 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Post by Mutley
Post by Steve Urbach
Post by g***@gmail.com
Any idea how many Eudora users there still are? Just curious.
Rick C.
Me :D
Paid to current (7) since 2.0
My M-in-law still uses 7.0 paid but I gave up a couple of years ago
and went to Office 365..
It was a great email client in it's day. May have another look at it
if there is an update to the code..
Just curious, what did you find lacking?
For me, the only issues I have are a few problems with viewing emails and the problems with getting it to work with new ISPs, mostly they don't want to be bothered with getting "obsolete" software to work with their stuff.
Rick C.
No calendar integration mainly. Outlook.com and Outlook 365 client
now suite me better.
Jim H
2018-06-05 05:49:27 UTC
On Mon, 04 Jun 2018 10:42:43 +1200, in
Post by Mutley
Post by g***@gmail.com
Post by Mutley
Post by Steve Urbach
Post by g***@gmail.com
Any idea how many Eudora users there still are? Just curious.
Rick C.
Me :D
Paid to current (7) since 2.0
My M-in-law still uses 7.0 paid but I gave up a couple of years ago
and went to Office 365..
It was a great email client in it's day. May have another look at it
if there is an update to the code..
Just curious, what did you find lacking?
For me, the only issues I have are a few problems with viewing emails and the problems with getting it to work with new ISPs, mostly they don't want to be bothered with getting "obsolete" software to work with their stuff.
Rick C.
No calendar integration mainly. Outlook.com and Outlook 365 client
now suite me better.
It doesn't do Usenet either... because it's an email client.

Go and add all the crap to it that Outlook does and then the
complaints about bloat will start. for myself, I'd love to see it do
Unicode, but if it becomes bloatware in order to do that then count me
out.
Jim H
n***@gmail.com
2018-06-02 18:29:04 UTC
There's a shit-ton of them, actually. There's a Eudora listserv at
eudora-***@hades.listmoms.net (you can join it by sending a message to
join-eudora-***@hades.listmoms.net with the word "Gazelle" in the
subject line).
Dennis Lee Bieber
2018-06-07 19:39:07 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Any idea how many Eudora users there still are? Just curious.
I'm still running it -- though for the last two months it has been in
parallel with Pandora http://www.drivehq.com/web/brana/pandora.htm

There are some things Pandora does that I'd rather side-track (it tends
to require an on-line state since so many emails now include stuff that is
not downloaded as part of the POP3 message content).

Pandora seems to be the closest thing to a Eudora look-alike currently
available, though of course it is still under development (while is
supports the <ctrl-j> JUNK command, it does not have its own trainable junk
logic, and only looks for ISP provided SPAM scores).
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
***@ix.netcom.com HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
Jim H
2018-06-07 20:08:05 UTC
On Thu, 07 Jun 2018 15:39:07 -0400, in
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
Post by g***@gmail.com
Any idea how many Eudora users there still are? Just curious.
I'm still running it -- though for the last two months it has been in
parallel with Pandora http://www.drivehq.com/web/brana/pandora.htm
There are some things Pandora does that I'd rather side-track (it tends
to require an on-line state since so many emails now include stuff that is
not downloaded as part of the POP3 message content).
Pandora seems to be the closest thing to a Eudora look-alike currently
available, though of course it is still under development (while is
supports the <ctrl-j> JUNK command, it does not have its own trainable junk
logic, and only looks for ISP provided SPAM scores).
Why do you say Pandora is still under development? There hasn't been
any visible progress that I can see since 2014. Is there perhaps a
website with more current info than the one at the link above?
Jim H
Dennis Lee Bieber
2018-06-08 14:07:16 UTC
Post by Jim H
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
Pandora seems to be the closest thing to a Eudora look-alike currently
available, though of course it is still under development (while is
supports the <ctrl-j> JUNK command, it does not have its own trainable junk
logic, and only looks for ISP provided SPAM scores).
Why do you say Pandora is still under development? There hasn't been
any visible progress that I can see since 2014. Is there perhaps a
website with more current info than the one at the link above?
I've had about 6 updates to the program since I paid to unlock the "one
personality, one signature, one filter..." demo mode... And that is only
since this March. (my archive shows I submitted a bug report on March 3 for
version 1.7.1.1, a feature request on March 21 for v1.7.2.1, and v1.7.6.1
came out a few weeks ago)

Don't go by the 2014 copyright on the release notes... I suspect he
never updates the original date. Unfortunately, the original forum site is
defunct (looks like I'll need to sign up again on the new site), so one can
not look at the list of releases there.
Jim H
2018-06-09 15:32:05 UTC
On Fri, 08 Jun 2018 10:07:16 -0400, in
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
Post by Jim H
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
[...]
And the "new site" is where?

I don't find anything at all interesting by Googling "Pandora email"
and various other terms I'd expect to produce useful results.
Jim H
Ajo Wissink
2018-06-09 15:40:09 UTC
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
Post by Jim H
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
[...]
Brana sent the following email message:

We are glad to announce Pandora forum is back online and now hosted by
Forumotion:
http://pandoramail.forumotion.me/t1-welcome-to-pandora-forum-again

As old domain was abruptly "parked" (it's for sale now, rather than
off for good; it may re-emerge with the same content), re-registration
on the new site is necessary. If old site re-emerges, relevant content
will be merged with the new forum. Hopefully this one will last.

Best Regards,

Brana

Ajo Wissink
Dennis Lee Bieber
2018-06-09 17:12:45 UTC
Post by Jim H
And the "new site" is where?
The new /forum/ site is the one now linked to by the main Pandora site,
which URL I'd provided previously:

http://www.drivehq.com/web/brana/pandora.htm

"Pandora Mail Forum"
Post by Jim H
I don't find anything at all interesting by Googling "Pandora email"
and various other terms I'd expect to produce useful results.
Unfortunately -- most Google results tend to be for either the Pandora
streaming music system or a jewelry firm. In contrast a search for "eudora
plugins" has an auxiliary page as the first hit, and from that one can find
the Pandora link (Pandora is being developed by the author of the "Greek
Message Viewer" plugin).
Thibaud Taudin Chabot
https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2018/05/22/1510151/0/en/Computer-History-Museum-Makes-the-Eudora-Email-Client-Source-Code-Available-to-the-Public.html
Thibaud Taudin Chabot
2018-06-02 20:15:40 UTC
Post by n***@gmail.com
[...]
"The Computer History Museum has started a survey to determine if there's
enough interest in bringing Eudora back.

If you answer in the affirmative, do take the survey now, and let others
know as well."

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/eudora-poll1