Eudora open-sourced; devs/donations/help/other wanted
n***@gmail.com
2018-06-25 15:00:27 UTC
Ladies and gentlemen:

Unless you've been living under a stone for the past few weeks, you are most probably aware that QUALCOMM Eudora has been Open Sourced. You may or may not know that I've picked up the code and am running with it. You probably don't know that two C++ developers are now working with me on what will be called Hermes 8, after the Ancient Greek patron deity of commerce, communication, and correspondence. The question is not whether Eudora will get a new version; the question is *when*.

I can only assume that you, the Eudora community, want an update *yesterday*. I do too. Much as I love this amazing piece of software, having a MUA that doesn't support modern SSL or Unicode is murder, and having a MUA that depends on Trident for HTML support is murder in the first degree. Those aren't even the only issues; Hermes won't even compile as-is, because a good deal of the interface is written to take advantage of the Objective Toolkit, none of the development team owns a copy thereof, and so it must be re-written for Qt instead. We have no Mac version (fortunately, re-writing for Qt takes care of *that* hurdle). You get the idea.

That said, in my experience, people either underestimate the significance of cyber-necromancy slightly or overestimate it tragically. Yes, there's no such thing as "freezing" source code, because the world moves on while the program's on ice, but it doesn't necessarily follow that abandoned source code should be left to rot. In fact, my belief is that the mere existence of an active user community is ample justification for the resuscitation of a moribund program.

Therefore, we at the Hermes project are soliciting your assistance in bringing what used to be Eudora up to date again. We accept all manner of contributions: art for icons, HTML work for the upcoming Web site, documentation and formatting... but we are greatly in need of a) coders with a good grasp on C++, and b) financial resources.

The Hermes codebase can be downloaded to your computer with this command:

hg clone ssh://***@hg.code.sf.net/p/hermesmail/code hermesmail-code

where username is your SourceForge... well, you get the idea. Uploading code to the "cloud" is with the usual add/commit/push incantation.

Gifts of money are also accepted and strongly encouraged. They may be sent via PayPal to: ***@gmail.com
g***@gmail.com
2018-06-26 08:47:24 UTC
Post by n***@gmail.com
[...]
What is MUA? Google is swamped with Make Up Artist.

Rick C.
Dennis Lee Bieber
2018-06-26 12:43:20 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
What is MUA? Google is swamped with Make Up Artist.
So add "mail" to the search -- the first entry for "mua mail" is:
https://ccm.net/contents/116-how-email-works-mta-mda-mua
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
***@ix.netcom.com HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
n***@gmail.com
2018-06-27 01:34:27 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Post by n***@gmail.com
[...]
Mail User Agents; eMail programs; mailers. The software you use to fetch and receive electronic mail on your computer, unless you're using a SaaSS (service as software substitute) like Gmail.