Problem getting the whole email
pyotr filipivich
2018-01-18 17:22:33 UTC
Greetings

I use Mailwasher to preview email headers - this also lets me
preview contents if I want to..

The problem I am having is that some of my emails (from a yahoo
group) will show part of it, but not the "included" stuff. For
example, Email in Eudora reads

"repeating what was in the yesterdays presentation

1, blah, blah

2. blah, blah

3. even more

---
posted by Grand Poobah
---

<end example>

I was at the meeting, there were eight points. What happened to
points 4 - 8?

Today, I get the second attempt to send out the weekly schedule. I
know this because the part which tells me this is the second attempt
came through, but the list of things didn't. I know this, because
when I click on the header in Mailwasher - up pops the whole message.
--
pyotr filipivich
TV NEWS: Yesterday's newspaper read to the illiterate.
Ajo Wissink
2018-01-19 04:31:58 UTC
On Thu, 18 Jan 2018 09:22:33 -0800, pyotr filipivich
Post by pyotr filipivich
Greetings
I use Mailwasher to preview email headers - this also lets me
preview contents if I want to..
The problem I am having is that some of my emails (from a yahoo
group) will show part of it, but not the "included" stuff.
What do you mean by "included" stuff? Attachments? Embedded files?

Did this happen all of a sudden with some messages from Yahoo groups?

Are these big messages?

Have you changed any options in Eudora's properties?

Didn't you see WARNING following the truncated messages?

Ajo Wissink
pyotr filipivich
2018-01-20 05:39:17 UTC
Post by Ajo Wissink
Post by pyotr filipivich
Greetings
I use Mailwasher to preview email headers - this also lets me
preview contents if I want to..
The problem I am having is that some of my emails (from a yahoo
group) will show part of it, but not the "included" stuff.
What do you mean by "included" stuff? Attachments? Embedded files?
If there is an attachment, it is so noted. Imbedded images seem
to show up - at least in other email.
Post by Ajo Wissink
Did this happen all of a sudden with some messages from Yahoo groups?
As far as I recall, this has been the way it was with this group
since the beginning. (It is the only yahoo group I'm connected to in
the last umm years.)
Post by Ajo Wissink
Are these big messages?
Not really.
Post by Ajo Wissink
Have you changed any options in Eudora's properties?
Nope. Save that I've been trying to see if I can get them to show
up.
Post by Ajo Wissink
Didn't you see WARNING following the truncated messages?
No, and that is the major problem. As I said, I get an email
with the subject "This week's schedule" I open it, and "Greetings,
here is the week's schedule." and the "usual" yahoo mail cruft at the
bottom. E.g. the reminder about tax forms ends mid paragraph

"contact fred jones at __._,_.___

Another example (another schedule)

{Begin quote}

__._,_.___
{end quote}

Is frustrating.

I actually went to the trouble of installing Thunderbird in order
to import the Eudora data, and set that up - T-Bird gets and displays
the whole thing.

I'm confused.
--
pyotr filipivich
Ajo Wissink
2018-01-20 21:34:16 UTC
On Fri, 19 Jan 2018 21:39:17 -0800, pyotr filipivich
Post by pyotr filipivich
Post by Ajo Wissink
Did this happen all of a sudden with some messages from Yahoo groups?
As far as I recall, this has been the way it was with this group
since the beginning. (It is the only yahoo group I'm connected to in
the last umm years.)
Post by Ajo Wissink
Are these big messages?
Not really.
Post by Ajo Wissink
Didn't you see WARNING following the truncated messages?
No, and that is the major problem. As I said, I get an email
with the subject "This week's schedule" I open it, and "Greetings,
here is the week's schedule." and the "usual" yahoo mail cruft at the
bottom. E.g. the reminder about tax forms ends mid paragraph
"contact fred jones at __._,_.___
skip

It sounds like you may have set Eudora to skip messages over a certain
size in the properties for the personality you are using for your
Yahoo groups.

Normally you get a Warning message at the bottom of the messages that
are only partly downloaded, but for some reason that warning doesn't
always show, probably when there is very fancy html involved. I see
that with messages from Westjet. However there is always an extra
button on the toolbar of such received messages. It is a downpointing
arrow that you have to click in order to get the entire message the
next time your are checking for mail. You can also do it by changing
the server status in the table of contents/mailbox window.

To check if you have opted for this feature go to Tools >
Personalities. Right-click on the Persona involved and select
properties. Then click on the Incoming Mail tab at the top right of
the window. Look at what you have in "Skip messages over .....".

I have this set for all my personalities to avoid downloading
many-megabyte stuff that I don't want.

Ajo Wissink
pyotr filipivich
2018-01-21 04:57:01 UTC
Post by Ajo Wissink
Post by pyotr filipivich
Post by Ajo Wissink
Didn't you see WARNING following the truncated messages?
No, and that is the major problem. As I said, I get an email
with the subject "This week's schedule" I open it, and "Greetings,
here is the week's schedule." and the "usual" yahoo mail cruft at the
bottom. E.g. the reminder about tax forms ends mid paragraph
"contact fred jones at __._,_.___
skip
It sounds like you may have set Eudora to skip messages over a certain
size in the properties for the personality you are using for your
Yahoo groups.
I have, but to 720 kb. Which seems large enough. At least it
was.
--
pyotr filipivich
Ajo Wissink
2018-01-21 21:05:53 UTC
On Sat, 20 Jan 2018 20:57:01 -0800, pyotr filipivich
Post by pyotr filipivich
Post by Ajo Wissink
Post by pyotr filipivich
Post by Ajo Wissink
Didn't you see WARNING following the truncated messages?
No, and that is the major problem. As I said, I get an email
with the subject "This week's schedule" I open it, and "Greetings,
here is the week's schedule." and the "usual" yahoo mail cruft at the
bottom. E.g. the reminder about tax forms ends mid paragraph
"contact fred jones at __._,_.___
skip
It sounds like you may have set Eudora to skip messages over a certain
size in the properties for the personality you are using for your
Yahoo groups.
I have, but to 720 kb. Which seems large enough. At least it
was.
Yes, that's quite large.

To make sure that size is not the problem you can right-click in such
a message and select "View Source". If the message is too large the
WARNING will appear at the bottom, even if it was not shown when you
opened the message.

Ajo Wissink
pyotr filipivich
2018-01-22 03:02:07 UTC
Post by pyotr filipivich
Post by Ajo Wissink
Post by pyotr filipivich
Post by Ajo Wissink
Didn't you see WARNING following the truncated messages?
No, and that is the major problem. As I said, I get an email
with the subject "This week's schedule" I open it, and "Greetings,
here is the week's schedule." and the "usual" yahoo mail cruft at the
bottom. E.g. the reminder about tax forms ends mid paragraph
"contact fred jones at __._,_.___
skip
It sounds like you may have set Eudora to skip messages over a certain
size in the properties for the personality you are using for your
Yahoo groups.
I have, but to 720 kb. Which seems large enough. At least it
was.
Yes, that's quite large.
I figured, "large enough".
Post by Ajo Wissink
To make sure that size is not the problem you can right-click in such
a message and select "View Source". If the message is too large the
WARNING will appear at the bottom, even if it was not shown when you
opened the message.
I just did that. Not being conversant in HTML, am I correct in
assuming that the following
{quote}

{End quote}
indicates the bottom/end of the file?

Fnord - just checked with T-bird. The whole message comes
through, it has the same lines of HTML at the bottom of the "view
source" window.

I suspect this is a feature of Yahoo's relentless insistence on
"improving my computer experience" whether I wanted it or not.
--
pyotr filipivich
Ajo Wissink
2018-01-22 04:19:08 UTC
Post by pyotr filipivich
Post by Ajo Wissink
Post by Ajo Wissink
To make sure that size is not the problem you can right-click in such
a message and select "View Source". If the message is too large the
WARNING will appear at the bottom, even if it was not shown when you
opened the message.
I just did that. Not being conversant in HTML, am I correct in
assuming that the following
{quote}
{End quote}
indicates the bottom/end of the file?
Fnord - just checked with T-bird. The whole message comes
through, it has the same lines of HTML at the bottom of the "view
source" window.
I suspect this is a feature of Yahoo's relentless insistence on
"improving my computer experience" whether I wanted it or not.
If the message is larger than the limit you have set, using View
Source, you should see something like the following at the bottom:

transferred.</div>
Click on the Retrieve From Server icon above and check mail again to
get the whole thing. (If you're reading this in the preview pane,
you'll need to open the message to see the icon.)&nbsp; If the
Retrieve From Server icon is not showing, then this message is no
longer on the server.
Ajo Wissink
pyotr filipivich
2018-01-22 04:46:01 UTC
Post by pyotr filipivich
Post by Ajo Wissink
Post by Ajo Wissink
[...]
Not seeing that. So, something else.

Many thanks for the effort. Dunnno where we can go from here.
--
pyotr filipivich
pyotr filipivich
2018-01-20 16:55:06 UTC
Post by pyotr filipivich
Greetings
I use Mailwasher to preview email headers - this also lets me
preview contents if I want to..
The problem I am having is that some of my emails (from a yahoo
group) will show part of it, but not the "included" stuff.
What do you mean by "included" stuff? Attachments? Embedded files?
If I view the email in HTML in Mailwasher, it is all there.
If I view the email in plain text, also in Mailwasher, it is _not_
all there.

When I download to Eudora, there is the first line, and:
{quote}
[box]
__._,_.___

{end quote}

The box has an X in it, when I click on it, it links to a website.

So now I'm wondering if there is an HTML issue between Yahoo
Groups and Eudora.
--
pyotr filipivich
Dennis Lee Bieber
2018-01-20 18:33:35 UTC
Post by pyotr filipivich
If I view the email in HTML in Mailwasher, it is all there.
If I view the email in plain text, also in Mailwasher, it is _not_
all there.
{quote}
[box]
__._,_.___
{end quote}
The box has an X in it, when I click on it, it links to a website.
So now I'm wondering if there is an HTML issue between Yahoo
Groups and Eudora.
Normally Eudora chooses to keep only the "highest" (most complex)
representation when multiple choices are in a received body. That is likely
HTML before RTF before PlainText...

Possibilities to examine (especially for things that have quoted text)

Tools/Options
Content Concentrator
(try changing between compact/terse/none)

Display
While I don't recommend it
[X] automatically download HTML graphics
[X] display attached images inline

Viewing Mail
(Again, I don't recommend this option -- since it means using the
Internet Explorer rendering engine, and in the early days THAT was a big
doorway for letting in HTML run-on-view viruses)
[X] use Microsoft's Viewer
(and last ditch)
[X] allow executables in HTML content
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
***@ix.netcom.com HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
pyotr filipivich
2018-01-22 03:02:07 UTC
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
Post by pyotr filipivich
If I view the email in HTML in Mailwasher, it is all there.
If I view the email in plain text, also in Mailwasher, it is _not_
all there.
{quote}
[box]
__._,_.___
{end quote}
The box has an X in it, when I click on it, it links to a website.
So now I'm wondering if there is an HTML issue between Yahoo
Groups and Eudora.
Normally Eudora chooses to keep only the "highest" (most complex)
representation when multiple choices are in a received body. That is likely
HTML before RTF before PlainText...
Possibilities to examine (especially for things that have quoted text)
Tools/Options
Content Concentrator
(try changing between compact/terse/none)
Doesn't seem to make any difference one way or the other.
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
Display
While I don't recommend it
[X] automatically download HTML graphics
[X] display attached images inline
Tried the first - the second is not an option in Eudora as far as
I can find.
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
Viewing Mail
(Again, I don't recommend this option -- since it means using the
Internet Explorer rendering engine, and in the early days THAT was a big
doorway for letting in HTML run-on-view viruses)
[X] use Microsoft's Viewer
(and last ditch)
[X] allow executables in HTML content
Yep, tried both of those - no change.

I'm suspecting a "feature" resulting from YahooGoogles endless
insistence on "enhancing our computer" whether we want it or not.
--
pyotr filipivich
Dennis Lee Bieber
2018-01-22 16:01:53 UTC
Post by pyotr filipivich
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
Display
While I don't recommend it
[X] automatically download HTML graphics
[X] display attached images inline
Tried the first - the second is not an option in Eudora as far as
I can find.
Odd -- I had the options page open when I copied typed those lines...
The full list of check boxes in Options/Display:

Show toolbar
Show toolbar tips
show cool bars
show large buttons
show status bar
show category icons
show MDI task bar
automatically download HTML graphics
display attached images inline <========
display emoticons as pictures
minimize eudora to the system tray
always show icon in system tray
pyotr filipivich
2018-01-22 23:55:57 UTC
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
Post by pyotr filipivich
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
Display
While I don't recommend it
[X] automatically download HTML graphics
[X] display attached images inline
Tried the first - the second is not an option in Eudora as far as
I can find.
Odd -- I had the options page open when I copied typed those lines...
Show toolbar
Show toolbar tips
show cool bars
show large buttons
show status bar
show category icons
show MDI task bar
automatically download HTML graphics
display attached images inline <========
display emoticons as pictures
minimize eudora to the system tray
always show icon in system tray
Why, so it does. (Now, what was I looking at which gave me that
impression?)

But yes - I do have both boxes checked. Have since "forever".
--
pyotr filipivich
Dennis Lee Bieber
2018-01-23 01:52:43 UTC
Post by pyotr filipivich
But yes - I do have both boxes checked. Have since "forever".
I'm out of ideas then... My best guess is the sender is using some
options that end up confusing the Eudora rendering engine (or IE renderer).

And for that, one probably needs to capture the message before Eudora
processes it. As I'd mentioned (I'm sure it was this thread) when Eudora
processes inbound messages from its spool directory, it tends to only
retain the most complex format when items are sent in multipart-mixed... So
the MBOX file has had a lot of MIME information stripped.
pyotr filipivich
2018-01-23 17:55:29 UTC
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
Post by pyotr filipivich
But yes - I do have both boxes checked. Have since "forever".
I'm out of ideas then... My best guess is the sender is using some
options that end up confusing the Eudora rendering engine (or IE renderer).
I'm blaming Yahoo.
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
And for that, one probably needs to capture the message before Eudora
processes it. As I'd mentioned (I'm sure it was this thread) when Eudora
processes inbound messages from its spool directory, it tends to only
retain the most complex format when items are sent in multipart-mixed... So
the MBOX file has had a lot of MIME information stripped.
That is going to be a problem - or a tedious issue.

Thanks for the help.
--
pyotr filipivich
Bill McIntyre
2018-01-22 08:33:55 UTC
Post by pyotr filipivich
[...]
This probably isn't it, but I had a problem with an email newsletter that I had been getting for years. All of a sudden it started truncating most, and often all, the of email content in Eudora. The email could be seen in it's entirety via webmail, but not via Eudora.

Turns out the problem was with the "Content-Transfer-Encoding" header in the email. It had recently been set to "8BIT", which I don't think Eudora understands. They set the "Content-Transfer-Encoding" header to "quoted-printable" and once again Eudora displayed the entire email contents.

Hope this helps. More info about this header can be found here: https://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc1341/5_Content-Transfer-Encoding.html

Cheers & Good Luck!
pyotr filipivich
2018-01-22 23:55:57 UTC
Post by Bill McIntyre
Post by pyotr filipivich
[...]
This probably isn't it,
Yep, that isn't it. B-)
Ajo Wissink
2018-01-23 03:53:52 UTC
On Mon, 22 Jan 2018 15:55:57 -0800, pyotr filipivich
Post by pyotr filipivich
Post by Bill McIntyre
This probably isn't it,
Yep, that isn't it. B-)
We tried, but I think none of us here came up with the right answer.
There is one thing left which is to pose this question in the
eudora-win mailing list where Katrina Knight, one of the "list moms",
can probably shed some more light on Pyotr's problem.

http://www.listmoms.net/eudora-win/
Ajo Wissink
micky
2018-01-23 06:48:22 UTC
Post by pyotr filipivich
Post by Bill McIntyre
This probably isn't it,
Yep, that isn't it. B-)
We tried, but I think none of us here came up with the right answer.
There is one thing left which is to pose this question in the
eudora-win mailing list where Katrina Knight, one of the "list moms",
can probably shed some more light on Pyotr's problem.
http://www.listmoms.net/eudora-win/
There was a case on that list a couple months ago when someone would try
to post the problem email to the list, iirc, and only part of it would
get through. IIRC and I might be wrong, there was some character which
stopped Eudora from going further. it thought it was the start of a new
message. but I don't remmember who posted the OP. It wasn't a regular.
pyotr filipivich
2018-01-23 17:55:29 UTC
Post by pyotr filipivich
Post by Bill McIntyre
This probably isn't it,
Yep, that isn't it. B-)
We tried, but I think none of us here came up with the right answer.
There is one thing left which is to pose this question in the
eudora-win mailing list where Katrina Knight, one of the "list moms",
can probably shed some more light on Pyotr's problem.
http://www.listmoms.net/eudora-win/
There was a case on that list a couple months ago when someone would try
to post the problem email to the list, iirc, and only part of it would
get through. IIRC and I might be wrong, there was some character which
stopped Eudora from going further. it thought it was the start of a new
message. but I don't remmember who posted the OP. It wasn't a regular.
Oh cheery.

Years ago I had a short program which stripped out all not
printing characters - there were fewer of them in those days. "We
only had 8 bits to work with, and we had to fire up the steam boiler
first thing in the morning to get it started. But that also made sure
the coffee was hot."
--
pyotr filipivich
Ajo Wissink
2018-01-23 21:32:10 UTC
Post by pyotr filipivich
Post by Bill McIntyre
This probably isn't it,
Yep, that isn't it. B-)
We tried, but I think none of us here came up with the right answer.
There is one thing left which is to pose this question in the
eudora-win mailing list where Katrina Knight, one of the "list moms",
can probably shed some more light on Pyotr's problem.
http://www.listmoms.net/eudora-win/
There was a case on that list a couple months ago when someone would try
to post the problem email to the list, iirc, and only part of it would
get through. IIRC and I might be wrong, there was some character which
stopped Eudora from going further. it thought it was the start of a new
message. but I don't remmember who posted the OP. It wasn't a regular.
I searched for "trundated messages" on the list and found the
following:

From: Katrina Knight

"At 05:32 PM 4/24/2016 Susanne Lloyd wrote:
I belong to a number of Yahoo Groups the memberships of which overlap.
On one of these lists, the messages from one person occasionally get
truncated when I download them to Eudora. By this I mean that the
message content gets truncated; the footers still download as do any
attachments. Consequently, depending on where the truncation happens
(mid-sentence or at the end of a paragraph) I might not notice right
away."

I can think of exactly one thing that would cause this kind of
problem. The person sending the messages probably has word wrapping
turned off, which is not a good idea. E-mail is supposed to have a
line limit of about 1,000 characters. Eudora expects things to adhere
to the standards. If a single line goes over the character limit,
Eudora loses whatever is over the limit.

Ajo Wissink
pyotr filipivich
From: Katrina Knight
I belong to a number of Yahoo Groups the memberships of which overlap.
On one of these lists, the messages from one person occasionally get
truncated when I download them to Eudora. By this I mean that the
message content gets truncated; the footers still download as do any
attachments. Consequently, depending on where the truncation happens
(mid-sentence or at the end of a paragraph) I might not notice right
away."
I can think of exactly one thing that would cause this kind of
problem. The person sending the messages probably has word wrapping
turned off, which is not a good idea. E-mail is supposed to have a
line limit of about 1,000 characters. Eudora expects things to adhere
to the standards. If a single line goes over the character limit,
Eudora loses whatever is over the limit.
Hmmm, will have to check.
--
pyotr filipivich
micky
2018-01-24 03:57:53 UTC
Post by pyotr filipivich
Post by Bill McIntyre
This probably isn't it,
Yep, that isn't it. B-)
We tried, but I think none of us here came up with the right answer.
There is one thing left which is to pose this question in the
eudora-win mailing list where Katrina Knight, one of the "list moms",
can probably shed some more light on Pyotr's problem.
http://www.listmoms.net/eudora-win/
There was a case on that list a couple months ago when someone would try
to post the problem email to the list, iirc, and only part of it would
get through. IIRC and I might be wrong, there was some character which
stopped Eudora from going further. it thought it was the start of a new
message. but I don't remmember who posted the OP. It wasn't a regular.
I searched for "trundated messages" on the list and found the
If I might offer a suggestion: You might find even more if you search
for "truncated messages".
From: Katrina Knight
I belong to a number of Yahoo Groups the memberships of which overlap.
On one of these lists, the messages from one person occasionally get
truncated when I download them to Eudora. By this I mean that the
message content gets truncated; the footers still download as do any
attachments. Consequently, depending on where the truncation happens
(mid-sentence or at the end of a paragraph) I might not notice right
away."
I think this is what I meant. It sure doesn't seem like 21 months.
Time flies.
Post by Ajo Wissink
I can think of exactly one thing that would cause this kind of
problem. The person sending the messages probably has word wrapping
turned off, which is not a good idea. E-mail is supposed to have a
line limit of about 1,000 characters. Eudora expects things to adhere
to the standards. If a single line goes over the character limit,
Eudora loses whatever is over the limit.
And apparently I forgot the answer. But I still think this is the one
one I mant.

OP, does this help you?
pyotr filipivich
2018-01-24 16:26:52 UTC
From: Katrina Knight
Post by Ajo Wissink
I can think of exactly one thing that would cause this kind of
problem. The person sending the messages probably has word wrapping
turned off, which is not a good idea. E-mail is supposed to have a
line limit of about 1,000 characters. Eudora expects things to adhere
to the standards. If a single line goes over the character limit,
Eudora loses whatever is over the limit.
And apparently I forgot the answer. But I still think this is the one
one I mant.
OP, does this help you?
Post by Ajo Wissink
I will have to look and see.