Stunnel for Eudora is obsolete (repost, forgot download link)
Add Reply
n***@gmail.com
2018-09-07 15:29:36 UTC
One of the enduring problems with Eudora is its lack of support for modern SSL; another is its root certificate store, which was last updated in 2005. In the past, workarounds (such as tunnelling through with Stunnel) were therefore necessary for Eudora to authenticate and interface with SMTP servers. As of to-day, that is no longer the case.

The HERMES project has just released updated binaries for QCSSL (Eudora's OpenSSL driver) and an updated root cert store, all in one .ZIP file for easy installation. Simply download it at https://sourceforge.net/projects/hermesmail/files/hermssl.zip/download and extract it to your Eudora program files directory.

What's this you hear about HERMES? Well, our over-riding goal is to release a true successor to Eudora 7.1, the last real version of QUALCOMM Eudora. For legal reasons, we can't *call* it Eudora, so it's been rechristened HERMES Mail, but it is based on the same great codebase and might as well be called Eudora Lazarus Edition.

Of course, the magnitude of the project is comparable to what Herakles had to deal with when made to tidy up King Augeas' stables. It could not, and can not, be done without the support of the Eudora user community. This support can come in one of two forms: labour and money. If you are capable of contributing labour (i.e. you can code in C++), we need that most of all; feel free to contact me at ***@gmail.com. You can also contribute money through PayPal (same address); it'll be disbursed appropriately and absolutely, positively won't go up my nose. Finally, we have a Kickstarter, which is available at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1313324524/hermes-eudoras-next-generation?ref=user_menu

N. E. Werner-Matavka
Sid Elbow
2018-09-07 17:19:46 UTC
Post by n***@gmail.com
One of the enduring problems with Eudora is its lack of support for modern SSL; another is its root certificate store, which was last updated in 2005. In the past, workarounds (such as tunnelling through with Stunnel) were therefore necessary for Eudora to authenticate and interface with SMTP servers. As of to-day, that is no longer the case.
The HERMES project has just released updated binaries for QCSSL (Eudora's OpenSSL driver) and an updated root cert store, all in one .ZIP file for easy installation. Simply download it at https://sourceforge.net/projects/hermesmail/files/hermssl.zip/download and extract it to your Eudora program files directory.
Haven't tried it myself but initial reports from the Eudora Listmom's
list are not encouraging. Think I'll wait and see.

What level of beta (or even alpha) testing do you do with this stuff
before releasing it?