Eudora Pro and Win10
Jim Thompson
2017-05-16 18:10:25 UTC
Before I buy the wife a new PC, has anyone successfully installed
Eudora Pro v7.1.0.9 in Windows 10?

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |

Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.

"It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that
is the secret of happiness." -James Barrie
Larc
2017-05-16 22:04:35 UTC
On Tue, 16 May 2017 11:10:25 -0700, Jim Thompson
<To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-***@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote:

| Before I buy the wife a new PC, has anyone successfully installed
| Eudora Pro v7.1.0.9 in Windows 10?

I have. 7.1.0.9 runs well in Windows 10 Pro, even the latest Windows Insider build
(16193). As long as your email provider supports Eudora, you shouldn't have any
problem.

Larc
Jim Thompson
2017-05-16 23:07:34 UTC
Post by Larc
On Tue, 16 May 2017 11:10:25 -0700, Jim Thompson
| Before I buy the wife a new PC, has anyone successfully installed
| Eudora Pro v7.1.0.9 in Windows 10?
I have. 7.1.0.9 runs well in Windows 10 Pro, even the latest Windows Insider build
(16193). As long as your email provider supports Eudora, you shouldn't have any
problem.
Larc
Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

Micky
2017-05-19 17:13:06 UTC
Post by Larc
On Tue, 16 May 2017 11:10:25 -0700, Jim Thompson
| Before I buy the wife a new PC, has anyone successfully installed
| Eudora Pro v7.1.0.9 in Windows 10?
Just about everyone who had tried. Or course with Eudora, you don't
have to install it, you can just copy the files in and create icons to
start it. But if you want mailto to work, or if you want to be able
to click on an .mbx file and make it open in Eudora, you have to
install it.

After you install it, you must re-replace qcssl.dll with the patched
version. If you are using an OS later than XP, you most likely have
done that, so save that file from your previous installation and copy
that installed version over with the one you're using now. If you're
still using XP, inquire about getting the patched version.

Bear in mind that it has the same name, is the same length and has the
same date and is only different by iirc one byte from the original, so
they are hard to tell apart. What I did is I made a copy of the old
one and named it qc (for Qualcomm) ssl (because that's what it's for).
dllold and another one named dllnew (well you only need the new. It
works with XP too) and when it matters, I copy the new to the program
files where it .dll is now, and rename dllnew to dll. So i never
lose track of which one is new and which old. It will still work with
old, but probably not the first mail retrieval of a sesssion.
Post by Larc
I have. 7.1.0.9 runs well in Windows 10 Pro, even the latest Windows Insider build
(16193). As long as your email provider supports Eudora, you shouldn't have any
problem.
Larc
In what way might an email provider support or not support Eudora?

My email provider hasnt' supported it in 20 years and it's never
caused a problem. If a user has a question of server names, all he
need do is phrase the quesiton in generic terms or in terms relate to
some mail client that more people use -- Thunderbird for example.

If for some reason he has a question about ports, he can ask here in
the first place or in the listmoms maililng list.
Larc
2017-05-19 22:07:50 UTC
On Fri, 19 May 2017 20:13:06 +0300, Micky <***@bigfoot.com> wrote:

| After you install it, you must re-replace qcssl.dll with the patched
| version. If you are using an OS later than XP, you most likely have
| done that, so save that file from your previous installation and copy
| that installed version over with the one you're using now. If you're
| still using XP, inquire about getting the patched version.

Just curious. What exactly does that do? I've never installed a qcssl.dll file
different from the one that installs with Eudora and don't have any problems other
than the need to update acceptance of a Google Mail certificate more frequently than
I like.

Larc
Micky
2017-05-20 07:47:42 UTC
Post by Larc
| After you install it, you must re-replace qcssl.dll with the patched
| version. If you are using an OS later than XP, you most likely have
| done that, so save that file from your previous installation and copy
| that installed version over with the one you're using now. If you're
| still using XP, inquire about getting the patched version.
Just curious. What exactly does that do? I've never installed a qcssl.dll file
different from the one that installs with Eudora and don't have any problems other
than the need to update acceptance of a Google Mail certificate more frequently than
I like.
Larc
Well, if you don't use SSL, it does nothing. Maybe you don't use SSL
anyhow? I left out that part, but SSL, encryption iiuc, is getting
more and more popular and sometime in the next year or 10, they'll
probably make him use it, or he'll want to, so he might as well learn
to install the new version.

If you need it and you don't have it, the first time in each Eudora
session (per server?) that you try to get mail, it will most likely
time out. But after that, Eudora will work fine. I'm told that,
strangely, it has to do with how random numbers are generated. What
this has to do with mail, I don't know.
J***@seehere.com
2017-05-20 18:44:55 UTC
Post by Micky
Post by Larc
| After you install it, you must re-replace qcssl.dll with the patched
| version. If you are using an OS later than XP, you most likely have
| done that, so save that file from your previous installation and copy
| that installed version over with the one you're using now. If you're
| still using XP, inquire about getting the patched version.
Just curious. What exactly does that do? I've never installed a qcssl.dll file
different from the one that installs with Eudora and don't have any problems other
than the need to update acceptance of a Google Mail certificate more frequently than
I like.
Larc
Well, if you don't use SSL, it does nothing. Maybe you don't use SSL
anyhow? I left out that part, but SSL, encryption iiuc, is getting
more and more popular and sometime in the next year or 10, they'll
probably make him use it, or he'll want to, so he might as well learn
to install the new version.
If you need it and you don't have it, the first time in each Eudora
session (per server?) that you try to get mail, it will most likely
time out. But after that, Eudora will work fine. I'm told that,
strangely, it has to do with how random numbers are generated. What
this has to do with mail, I don't know.
I came on this late - where can I get the ' the patched version of
qcssl.dll'? I get tired of dealing with SSL errors.

Thanks

Johnny
Ajo Wissink
2017-05-20 21:18:38 UTC
Post by J***@seehere.com
Post by Micky
Post by Larc
| After you install it, you must re-replace qcssl.dll with the patched
| version. If you are using an OS later than XP, you most likely have
| done that, so save that file from your previous installation and copy
| that installed version over with the one you're using now. If you're
| still using XP, inquire about getting the patched version.
Just curious. What exactly does that do? I've never installed a qcssl.dll file
different from the one that installs with Eudora and don't have any problems other
than the need to update acceptance of a Google Mail certificate more frequently than
I like.
Larc
Well, if you don't use SSL, it does nothing. Maybe you don't use SSL
anyhow? I left out that part, but SSL, encryption iiuc, is getting
more and more popular and sometime in the next year or 10, they'll
probably make him use it, or he'll want to, so he might as well learn
to install the new version.
If you need it and you don't have it, the first time in each Eudora
session (per server?) that you try to get mail, it will most likely
time out. But after that, Eudora will work fine. I'm told that,
strangely, it has to do with how random numbers are generated. What
this has to do with mail, I don't know.
I came on this late - where can I get the ' the patched version of
qcssl.dll'? I get tired of dealing with SSL errors.
Thanks
Johnny
You can download it from my Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vbufua62y169ih3/QCSSL.dll?dl=0

You don't need to have a dropbox account. Just dismiss the message if
you get invited to create one.

Note that this dll eliminates the long wait/time-out when trying to
send or download mail. You still have to fix expired certificate
errors.

Ajo Wissink
Larc
2017-05-21 14:08:51 UTC
On Sat, 20 May 2017 10:47:42 +0300, Micky <***@bigfoot.com> wrote:

| On Fri, 19 May 2017 18:07:50 -0400, Larc <***@notmyaddress.com>
| wrote:
|
| >On Fri, 19 May 2017 20:13:06 +0300, Micky <***@bigfoot.com> wrote:
| >
| >| After you install it, you must re-replace qcssl.dll with the patched
| >| version. If you are using an OS later than XP, you most likely have
| >| done that, so save that file from your previous installation and copy
| >| that installed version over with the one you're using now. If you're
| >| still using XP, inquire about getting the patched version.
| >
| >Just curious. What exactly does that do? I've never installed a qcssl.dll file
| >different from the one that installs with Eudora and don't have any problems other
| >than the need to update acceptance of a Google Mail certificate more frequently than
| >I like.
| >
| >Larc
|
| Well, if you don't use SSL, it does nothing. Maybe you don't use SSL
| anyhow? I left out that part, but SSL, encryption iiuc, is getting
| more and more popular and sometime in the next year or 10, they'll
| probably make him use it, or he'll want to, so he might as well learn
| to install the new version.
|
| If you need it and you don't have it, the first time in each Eudora
| session (per server?) that you try to get mail, it will most likely
| time out. But after that, Eudora will work fine. I'm told that,
| strangely, it has to do with how random numbers are generated. What
| this has to do with mail, I don't know.

Answers my question. Since I don't use SSL, that explains why I haven't needed the
patched .dll file. Thanks very much, Micky.

Larc
a***@gmail.com
2017-05-26 22:36:37 UTC
I hate Eudora working with gmail.
It is incredible. Every week I have to put the certificate into safe
certificate. I hate it! It is deleterious for those who have some
gmail accounts. I'm thinking to replace Eudora for this reason.
Larc
2017-05-27 02:19:29 UTC
On Sat, 27 May 2017 00:36:37 +0200, ***@gmail.com wrote:

| I hate Eudora working with gmail.
| It is incredible. Every week I have to put the certificate into safe
| certificate. I hate it! It is deleterious for those who have some
| gmail accounts. I'm thinking to replace Eudora for this reason.

I still use Eudora for my non-gmail accounts, but switched to Thunderbird for gmail.
It's not bad. Although I honestly don't like it as much as Eudora, I'd rather not
have to deal with those certificate problems. Now, if somebody would just come up
with a fix for that...

Larc
Ajo Wissink
2017-05-27 10:00:23 UTC
Post by Larc
| I hate Eudora working with gmail.
| It is incredible. Every week I have to put the certificate into safe
| certificate. I hate it! It is deleterious for those who have some
| gmail accounts. I'm thinking to replace Eudora for this reason.
I still use Eudora for my non-gmail accounts, but switched to Thunderbird for gmail.
It's not bad. Although I honestly don't like it as much as Eudora, I'd rather not
have to deal with those certificate problems. Now, if somebody would just come up
with a fix for that...
You can install Stunnel to take care of the certificates issue.

Ajo Wissink
a***@gmail.com
2017-05-28 07:22:54 UTC
Post by Ajo Wissink
You can install Stunnel to take care of the certificates issue.
But with Stunnel can I continue to use Eudora without certificate
problems?
Ajo Wissink
2017-05-28 09:43:54 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Post by Ajo Wissink
You can install Stunnel to take care of the certificates issue.
But with Stunnel can I continue to use Eudora without certificate
problems?
Yes.
Ajo Wissink
a***@gmail.com
2017-05-28 10:49:55 UTC
Yes.
I use Eudora 7.1 and Windows 10. Is it easy to configure Stunnel with
Eudora?
I'm afraid it is hard.
Larc
2017-05-28 14:43:21 UTC
On Sun, 28 May 2017 12:49:55 +0200, ***@gmail.com wrote:

| >Yes.
|
| I use Eudora 7.1 and Windows 10. Is it easy to configure Stunnel with
| Eudora?
| I'm afraid it is hard.

Instructions I've read make the procedure seem far from simple, but it could be I
just haven't found the clearest-written instructions yet.

Larc
Ajo Wissink
2017-05-29 00:38:07 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
Yes.
I use Eudora 7.1 and Windows 10. Is it easy to configure Stunnel with
Eudora?
I'm afraid it is hard.
I think that Micky installed it.

If he is not around you can ask for help at the eudora-win email list:
http://www.listmoms.net/eudora-win/ (which seems to be having server
problems at the moment.
Ajo Wissink
a***@gmail.com
2017-05-28 07:24:22 UTC
Is it possible to import Eudora mailboxes in Thunderbird?
Larc
2017-05-28 14:22:18 UTC
On Sun, 28 May 2017 09:24:22 +0200, ***@gmail.com wrote:

| >I still use Eudora for my non-gmail accounts, but switched to Thunderbird for gmail.
|
| Is it possible to import Eudora mailboxes in Thunderbird?

Newer versions of Thunderbird don't support importing from Eudora, but there's a
workaround since older versions did. Initially install Thunderbird 31.6.0 (it's the
last version that enabled Eudora import and is still easily available), import Eudora
mailboxes and data including saved email, and then update to the current Thunderbird
version.

Larc
Tim Streater
2017-05-28 15:34:42 UTC
Post by Larc
| >I still use Eudora for my non-gmail accounts, but switched to Thunderbird
| >for gmail.
|
| Is it possible to import Eudora mailboxes in Thunderbird?
Newer versions of Thunderbird don't support importing from Eudora, but
there's a workaround since older versions did. Initially install
Thunderbird 31.6.0 (it's the last version that enabled Eudora import
and is still easily available), import Eudora mailboxes and data
including saved email, and then update to the current Thunderbird
version.
There's also emailchemy (Weird Kid Software) that, for not much money,
can convert in all sorts of directions.
--
"A committee is a cul-de-sac down which ideas are lured and then
quietly strangled." - Sir Barnett Cocks (1907-1989)
a***@gmail.com
2017-05-29 06:06:11 UTC
Post by Larc
Newer versions of Thunderbird don't support importing from Eudora, but there's a
workaround since older versions did. Initially install Thunderbird 31.6.0 (it's the
last version that enabled Eudora import and is still easily available), import Eudora
mailboxes and data including saved email, and then update to the current Thunderbird
version.
Do I have to make the imprting procedure in the installation time or
Can I copy/paste the mailboxes from Eudora to Thunderbird?

Jim H
2017-05-27 14:55:18 UTC
On Sat, 27 May 2017 00:36:37 +0200, in
Post by a***@gmail.com
I hate Eudora working with gmail.
It is incredible. Every week I have to put the certificate into safe
certificate. I hate it! It is deleterious for those who have some
gmail accounts. I'm thinking to replace Eudora for this reason.
Have you given any thought to replacing the email provider who changes
certificates weekly?
--
Jim H