Email Send Problem
g***@gmail.com
2018-10-12 21:29:21 UTC
Trying to send email to an address at a state government. I can send email from a Yahoo account, but from Eudora using my web site hosting account I get the following error.

SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
550 Denied by policy

When I look up this error it talks about being black listed among other possible issues. I'm inquiring with my hosting provider about the black list possibility. Any other ideas?

Rick C.
April Monoceros
2018-10-15 21:27:34 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
550 Denied by policy
When I look up this error it talks about being black listed among other possible issues. I'm inquiring with my hosting provider about the black list possibility. Any other ideas?
Perhaps there's a strict spam policy in place? Apache Spam Assassin has a "FORGED_MUA_EUDORA" that seems to trigger on e-mails sent from Eudora, regardless of the fact that the header isn't forged, and it's 2 points toward the standard 5 for something to be declared spam. (And who knows what non-standard settings they'd be running, if they're using spam catchers.)

I doubt there's much you could do about it, but you could try sending e-mail from another e-mail client (E.g., a phone app or through whatever webmail your hosting account has) as a test to see if they're biased against Eudora.
Dennis Lee Bieber
2018-10-15 22:07:53 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Trying to send email to an address at a state government. I can send email from a Yahoo account, but from Eudora using my web site hosting account I get the following error.
This is a bit confusing...

Are you using Eudora to submit the mail to the Yahoo account? That is:
are you sending the mail using a Eudora configuration that sends to a Yahoo
server?

I'm presuming the second half is that you are sending via Eudora
through a server provided/associated with your web site host. If not, what
server are you using to send the email?

What happens if you configure the Eudora personality of the second
account to relay via the Yahoo account?
Post by g***@gmail.com
550 Denied by policy
Which mail server is this? If it is the server of your web site host
then I'd say it may not be configured to accept email sent from the address
you are providing in the personality. If so, you may need to use the email
server provided by your ISP itself (configure as a relay personality, and
configure the personality you've been trying to send via to use the relay.
Post by g***@gmail.com
When I look up this error it talks about being black listed among other possible issues. I'm inquiring with my hosting provider about the black list possibility. Any other ideas?
If it is the receiving government server that is rejecting mail from
the domain of your web host, you may need to talk to someone at the
government IT department.
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
***@ix.netcom.com HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/