Lost Preview in Eudora
j***@lycos.com
2009-07-01 02:02:52 UTC
I'm using Eudora v7 on my XP machine and for some reason, have
suddenly lost my preview pane for any mailbox. "options", "viewing
mail" is still checked for 'use microsoft's viewer' and 'use separate
settings from I.E.' and as far as I can tell [default settings I
believe and I.E. is working okay], no changes have taken place. I
thought perhaps my inbox was getting too big but after dumping a lot
of stuff, closing the program, etc; I'm having the same problem.
Anyone else experience this who may know the fix? TIA
John H Meyers
2009-07-01 03:22:41 UTC
Post by j***@lycos.com
I'm using Eudora v7 on my XP machine and for some reason, have
suddenly lost my preview pane for any mailbox. "options", "viewing
mail" is still checked for 'use microsoft's viewer' and 'use separate
settings from I.E.' and as far as I can tell [default settings
I believe and I.E. is working okay], no changes have taken place.
I thought perhaps my inbox was getting too big but after dumping a lot=
of stuff, closing the program, etc; I'm having the same problem.
How about after a reboot?

http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showthread.php?t=3D13911

http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showthread.php?t=3D13690

http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showpost.php?p=3D20226 [Quotes from posts]
Have you tried emptying the Embedded directory? worked for me.
C:\Documents and Settings\"user"\Application Data\Qualcomm\Eudora\Embe=
dded

http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showpost.php?p=3D20267
Thanks for the tip about emptying the Embedded folder.
I tried deleting different files then restoring those files
if it had no effect on the preview pane. Finally I noticed
there was a huge 43 MB file that ScanSoft's PaperPort creates
as it indexes contents of folders. PaperPort is a document storage pro=
gram
and its file indexer creates thumbnails of files. Deleting the 43 MB =
file
fixed the preview pane -- and without having to restart Eudora.

http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showpost.php?p=3D24470
I just started having the same blank preview pane problem in Eudora -
interestingly, I am having the same problem with Yahoo Webmail (the ne=
w version)..
the preview pane is blank but I can open emails by double-clicking.
This would seem to suggest that this is NOT a Eudora problem.

http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showpost.php?p=3D27553
I had a user with this same issue and following the advice of an earli=
er post
we emptied his Embedded directory and the Preview Pane then started to=
work again.

-- =
Ajo Wissink
2009-07-01 14:15:22 UTC
Post by j***@lycos.com
I'm using Eudora v7 on my XP machine and for some reason, have
suddenly lost my preview pane for any mailbox. "options", "viewing
mail" is still checked for 'use microsoft's viewer' and 'use separate
settings from I.E.' and as far as I can tell [default settings I
believe and I.E. is working okay], no changes have taken place. I
thought perhaps my inbox was getting too big but after dumping a lot
of stuff, closing the program, etc; I'm having the same problem.
Anyone else experience this who may know the fix? TIA
What about Tools > Options > Viewing Mail > Show message preview pane?
Ajo Wissink
s***@ch2v.com
I SOLVED THIS IN EUDORA 7 BY FOLLOWING ADVICE ON OTHER BOARDS. BASICALLY, GO THROUGH YOUR MAIL BOXES - IN, OUT, AND TRASH, AND EITHER DELETE MESSAGES OR MOVE THEM TO AN ARCHIVE MAIL BOX. I HAVE MANY ARCHIVES, ONE PER YEAR (LIKE "2015 IN"). MY IN BOX HAD 55,000 MESSAGES. WHEN I REDUCED IT TO 10,000 PROBLEM SOLVED ITSELF.
Sid Elbow
2018-07-21 01:04:16 UTC
On 7/20/2018 11:59 AM, ***@ch2v.com wrote:
MY IN BOX HAD 55,000 MESSAGES. WHEN I REDUCED IT TO 10,000 PROBLEM
SOLVED ITSELF.

Still way, way too many. You are heading for serious Eudora problems.
How many messages do you have in the Out-box?

The first 4 (default) mailboxes should be emptied on a frequent basis
either manually or by suitable filters.
Ajo Wissink
2018-07-25 14:27:09 UTC
Post by s***@ch2v.com
Post by j***@lycos.com
I'm using Eudora v7 on my XP machine and for some reason, have
suddenly lost my preview pane for any mailbox. "options", "viewing
mail" is still checked for 'use microsoft's viewer' and 'use separate
settings from I.E.' and as far as I can tell [default settings I
believe and I.E. is working okay], no changes have taken place. I
thought perhaps my inbox was getting too big but after dumping a lot
of stuff, closing the program, etc; I'm having the same problem.
Anyone else experience this who may know the fix? TIA
This is a problem that happens once in a while for some people. It can
usually be solved by restarting Windows.
Post by s***@ch2v.com
I SOLVED THIS IN EUDORA 7 BY FOLLOWING ADVICE ON OTHER BOARDS. BASICALLY, GO THROUGH YOUR MAIL BOXES - IN, OUT, AND TRASH, AND EITHER DELETE MESSAGES OR MOVE THEM TO AN ARCHIVE MAIL BOX. I HAVE MANY ARCHIVES, ONE PER YEAR (LIKE "2015 IN"). MY IN BOX HAD 55,000 MESSAGES. WHEN I REDUCED IT TO 10,000 PROBLEM SOLVED ITSELF.
As Sid says, that is way to big. The toc files of the system mailboxes
are kept in memory as long as Eudora is running. If something goes
wrong, for example a power outage, there is a serious risk of
corruption.

Ajo Wissink