website Contact
m***@comcast.net
2018-01-13 14:25:06 UTC
A small problem: Since Windows' last update,I've been getting a message that says "Eudora was not able to update the registry. The default email program has not been changed." Other than telling me that, it doesn't seem to do anything.

And a big problem: I put an email Contact button on my new website and haven't been able to get it to work. I may have it set up wrong, using a Personality, but this occurs to me: because of the regular SSL notification that I click "Yes" to in my regular mail, could that issue interfere with using Eudora as the Contact email client?

Thanks,
Marge
Dennis Lee Bieber
2018-01-13 15:47:05 UTC
Post by m***@comcast.net
A small problem: Since Windows' last update,I've been getting a message that says "Eudora was not able to update the registry. The default email program has not been changed." Other than telling me that, it doesn't seem to do anything.
The last Windows update "corrupted" a number of registry entries
(besides the Eudora default status, I had to uninstall/install newer
version of VirtualBox).

Windows 10 (and as I recall, Win7) redefined the area of the registry
in which things like "default" is saved. Eudora does not know about the new
scheme and tries to change a registry entry that is now in system protected
part of the registry.

So...

Step one: open Eudora as administrator (admin may be able to write the
protected area of the registry -- this may set the area Eudora is checking
so it sees itself as default)

Step two: Right click [Start], select Apps & Features; select Default apps;
click on whatever shows up under "email", from the displayed list of mail
clients, pick Eudora. (This should set up what Win10 now uses -- Win7 was
much better for this as one could select a subset of capabilities if one
had multiple clients handling different stuff)

Step three: From Eudora... Tools/Options EXTRA WARNINGS, remove the
checkmark from "Start Eudora and it's not the default mailer" (this should
keep it from even checking the registry; note: steps 2 and 3 may need to be
performed for each log-in account on the computer as the settings are not
longer global to all users)
Post by m***@comcast.net
And a big problem: I put an email Contact button on my new website and haven't been able to get it to work. I may have it set up wrong, using a Personality, but this occurs to me: because of the regular SSL notification that I click "Yes" to in my regular mail, could that issue interfere with using Eudora as the Contact email client?
Hard to tell... Have you tried using a different computer or (android)
tablet to ensure the button is properly configured. If it doesn't activate
a mail client on that device, then the "button" is mis-configured. I just
tested with one of my static web-sites
http://home.earthlink.net/~baron.wulfraed/
and clicking the name in the signature block popped up a new message in
Eudora (I even tested with Eudora shut-down -- it opened to a new message)
with the proper address in the TO field.

I don't have a formal "button" for that -- the name in the signature
block is just a standard link with a "mailto:" protocol specified.

"mailto:***@earthlink.net">Baron Wulfraed</a>
(Dennis Lee Bieber)<br>

OH -- I do have Firefox set (Tools/Options/General, Applications,
"mailto" configured with "Use EUDORA (default)" -- though I don't know
where it retrieved that setting, as the other local mail clients (Outlook,
whatever M$ provides with Win10, or Agent) show up in the list, and "use
other" says mailto is undefined. Same with the command line tools:

C:\Users\Wulfraed>assoc mailto
mailto=URL:MailTo Protocol

C:\Users\Wulfraed>ftype "url:mailto protocol"
File type 'url:mailto' not found or no open command associated with it.

C:\Users\Wulfraed>ftype "url:mailto"
File type 'url:mailto' not found or no open command associated with it.

C:\Users\Wulfraed>

You might have to check the equivalent settings in your browser...
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
***@ix.netcom.com HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/