how to import a certificate
zazie
2018-05-15 14:39:17 UTC
Dear all, I browsed the forum discussions but could not really find an answer - so excuse me if the answer is already out there:
My host (siteground.com) has changed settings and no longer automatically renews SSL certificates (I know how to "trust" new certificates, have done it hundreds of times).
What I dound on their site is SSL info - which I copied into a txt file, but now how to import that into Eudora?
* go into the certificate manager
* import
* select the file (txt file, saved as *.crt since this seems to be what Eudora wants)
does not work! Anyone out there who can help?
Zazie
zazie
2018-05-15 14:45:24 UTC
found out more : the problem is the new version of TLS - which means that importing a certificate will not help, since it will be the wrong version. so - next step stunnel then? or are there other solutions?
micky
2018-08-01 00:51:32 UTC
In comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows, on Tue, 15 May 2018 07:45:24 -0700
Post by zazie
found out more : the problem is the new version of TLS - which means that importing a certificate will not help,
Somewhere on the web someone is spreadign the story that the new version
of TLS will not work with Eudora. Totally untrue.
Post by zazie
since it will be the wrong version. so - next step stunnel then? or are there other solutions?
Stunnel will work, or for those like me, who for quite some time enjoyed
fighting with the dragon and trusting new certificates from gmail every
week or 10 days, trusting every certificate, as described by Will in
this thread will also work. (After a couple years of this, I did give
up and go to stunnel, and since I installed that, I've had to do
absolutely nothing.)

Will Seehorn
2018-05-19 15:13:20 UTC
Post by zazie
My host (siteground.com) has changed settings and no longer automatically renews SSL certificates (I know how to "trust" new certificates, have done it hundreds of times).
What I dound on their site is SSL info - which I copied into a txt file, but now how to import that into Eudora?
* go into the certificate manager
* import
* select the file (txt file, saved as *.crt since this seems to be what Eudora wants)
does not work! Anyone out there who can help?
Zazie
I don't use Eudora with Gmail, so this may not help. My understanding is that you DON'T import certificates as Eudora doesn't know how to handle them. Trusting certificates will work until such time as Gmail changes them (I get the impression is is VERY frequently -- but Stunnel solves that problem) To trust a certificate (all steps must be followed exactly!)
Post by zazie
Do a mail check (or try to send mail if the problem is with the
outgoing server). You can't tell Eudora to trust a certificate
that it hasn't received yet.
When you get the certificate error, answering "yes" may allow
you to successfully connect to the server but it may interfere
with fixing the problem more permanently. Saying "no" is more
reliable when it comes to doing the long-term fix.
Open the personalities window, right-click on the personality in
question and select "properties".
On the incoming mail tab, click on the button to see the
information for the last SSL connection. (For outgoing mail, go
to the "generic properties tab rather than "incoming mail".)
Then click on the button to go to the certificate information
manager.
In the certificate manager, the certificate chain for the
connection in question will be at the top. (Ignore all the
certificates further down in various other categories. The only
one you need to concern yourself with is the one listed at the
very top, under "server certificates".) It is most likely a
chain of certificates that you have to open, not just a single
certificate. The "+" button opens additional levels. Click on
the "+"s until you have the entire chain open. Certificates that
are trusted have a happy face icon until you open them. When
they opened, the happy face opens its mouth. Certificates that
aren't trusted have a skull icon. Most likely, you'll find that
the last one in the chain shows a skull. Select that one and
tell Eudora to trust it. You don't need to do anything to the
certificates that are already trusted, other than click on the
plus sign to open them up.
Close out of the certificate manager and properties. Go do
another mail check (or try to send mail) and see if it works.
You may have to repeat this process a few more times depending
on the number of certificates in the chain. Each one needs to be
trusted. They're like a series of locked doors. You have to
unlock each of the doors before it can be opened to see the next
door.
If you have multiple personalities that use the same server, you
only need to do this for one of them, but if you have multiple
personalities that use different servers, you have to be sure
the personality you choose is the right one.
Willard