Messed up characters in email received by Eudora 7
Suzannah
2015-03-05 10:20:32 UTC
I am using Eudora 7.1 on Windows XP. I sometimes get altered characters as
you can see below. Is there something I can change in my settings to
overcome this?

--------------

From an email sent by Amazon:-

"If nobody’s available to accept the delivery, we’ll leave
it in your preferred safe place, if you’ve set unattended
delivery preferences. Otherwise, if possible we’ll post the
package through your letterbox or leave it with a neighbour."

If it's relevant, the headers contain:-

On Thu, 05 Mar 2015 10:20:32 GMT, Suzannah
Post by Suzannah
I am using Eudora 7.1 on Windows XP. I sometimes get altered characters as
you can see below. Is there something I can change in my settings to
overcome this?
--------------
From an email sent by Amazon:-
"If nobody’s available to accept the delivery, we’ll leave
it in your preferred safe place, if you’ve set unattended
delivery preferences. Otherwise, if possible we’ll post the
package through your letterbox or leave it with a neighbour."
If it's relevant, the headers contain:-
The Content-Type header is missing the encoding. This is UTF-8
character encoding which is not supported in Eudora.

This can be overcome by installing Brana's "Greek message viewer":

http://www.drivehq.com/web/brana/plugins.htm

It is called "Greek Message Viewer" but it does a lot more than
Greek. When you invoke the plug-in a new window opens with the
corrected text, which has the advantage that the original message
remains unchanged.

Copy the viewer.dll to the Plugins subfolder of your Data folder.

To use the plug-in you can select Edit > Message Plug-ins, but I find
it easier to have icons for it on the toolbar. There is one for plain
text and another one for html.
jetjock
2015-03-05 16:52:05 UTC
Post by Suzannah
I am using Eudora 7.1 on Windows XP. I sometimes get altered characters as
you can see below. Is there something I can change in my settings to
overcome this?
--------------
From an email sent by Amazon:-
[...]
Hello Ajo,

Thanks for the tip. I've been spending much time manually editing all
those hieroglyphics for years before forwarding. Now all it takes is a
couple clicks of the mouse! Didn't think it was working until I
figured out that you have to open "View-Character Encoding" and click
on the encoding you want. Great program. Thanks again!
Ajo Wissink
2015-03-05 20:08:10 UTC
Post by Suzannah
I am using Eudora 7.1 on Windows XP. I sometimes get altered characters as
you can see below. Is there something I can change in my settings to
overcome this?
--------------
From an email sent by Amazon:-
[...]
Thank Brana, he has a lot of great stuff!

The plug-in will remember which encoding you used last, so if you use
it only for UTF-8 you don't have to choose it again from the menu and
one click will suffice if you have it on your toolbar (via Customize).
jetjock
2015-03-06 19:25:02 UTC
Post by Suzannah
I am using Eudora 7.1 on Windows XP. I sometimes get altered characters as
you can see below. Is there something I can change in my settings to
overcome this?
--------------
From an email sent by Amazon:-
[...]
Well, thanks for pointing me to Brana then! ;-) I'd not heard of him
until you mentioned his plug-ins.

You wouldn't happen to know how to get rid of the little square boxes
that are still left over after cleaning with "Greek Message Viewer",
would you? ?I'd show you what I mean, but when I paste one here it
shows as a "?", not an open square.
?
Ajo Wissink
2015-03-06 22:01:47 UTC
Post by Suzannah
I am using Eudora 7.1 on Windows XP. I sometimes get altered characters as
you can see below. Is there something I can change in my settings to
overcome this?
--------------
From an email sent by Amazon:-
[...]
Those square boxes take the place of "a accent grave" (à) in the html
version of the viewer. In the plain text version those places are
left blank.
I wouldn't know how to correct that and hopefully Brana will find a
solution for it.
Thibaud Taudin Chabot
2015-03-07 14:38:51 UTC
Post by Suzannah
I am using Eudora 7.1 on Windows XP. I sometimes get altered characters as
you can see below. Is there something I can change in my settings to
overcome this?
--------------
From an email sent by Amazon:-
[...]
there seems to be an other plugin for the same purpose. Look at:
http://windharp.de/software/utf8iso.htm
Ajo Wissink
2015-03-07 15:02:10 UTC
On Sat, 07 Mar 2015 15:38:51 +0100, Thibaud Taudin Chabot
Post by Thibaud Taudin Chabot
Post by Suzannah
I am using Eudora 7.1 on Windows XP. I sometimes get altered characters as
you can see below. Is there something I can change in my settings to
overcome this?
--------------
From an email sent by Amazon:-
[...]
That one, dating from way back, was the only play in town but is
rather buggy and can make quite a mess of a message. Since it changes
the original message there is no way to recover from a messed-up
unreadable message. The Greek Viewer opens the corrected message in a
new window and leaves the original message alone.
Thibaud Taudin Chabot
thanks for your comment
jetjock
Ok, thanks for the info.
Suzannah
2015-03-05 22:18:07 UTC
Post by Suzannah
I am using Eudora 7.1 on Windows XP. I sometimes get altered
characters as you can see below. Is there something I can change in
my settings to overcome this?
--------------
From an email sent by Amazon:-
[...]
I installed the plugin and got two new entries on my Eudora menu:

Edit > Message Plugins > View - Plain Text Version
Edit > Message Plugins > View - HTMLVersion

However when I select either of those two, the box which pops up contains
exactly the same messed up text that was in the message.

I then tried using View > Character Encoding from the pop up text box menu
but which one should I choose? Latin Western European does not improve the
text and the others don't seem right either.

Please advise.
Suzannah
2015-03-05 22:20:36 UTC
Post by Suzannah
I am using Eudora 7.1 on Windows XP. I sometimes get altered
characters as you can see below. Is there something I can change in
my settings to overcome this?
--------------
From an email sent by Amazon:-
[...]
OK ignore me asking that. The right option is "UTF-8" just as Ajo had
mentioned in his post.

How do I now make this into a button? I've had Eudora for years but
never had to make a button.
Ajo Wissink
2015-03-06 00:04:40 UTC
On Thu, 05 Mar 2015 22:20:36 GMT, Suzannah
Post by Suzannah
Post by Suzannah
I am using Eudora 7.1 on Windows XP. I sometimes get altered
characters as you can see below. Is there something I can change in
my settings to overcome this?
--------------
From an email sent by Amazon:-
[...]
1- Right-click anywhere on your toolbar and select "Customize".

2- Click on the plugins tab.

3- You see the 2 viewer plugins on the left side.

4- Click the first one and you will see the icon in the window on the
right side.

5- Drag that icon to where you want it on your toolbar and release it
there.

6- Do the same with the other one.

(You will notice that the plain text icon is blanc and that the html
one is coloured).

You can move icons on your toolbar around by dragging and dropping
while holding down the Alt key.
Jim Thompson
2015-03-11 17:27:50 UTC
Post by Suzannah
I am using Eudora 7.1 on Windows XP. I sometimes get altered characters as
you can see below. Is there something I can change in my settings to
overcome this?
--------------
From an email sent by Amazon:-
[...]
I did not know the power of Brana's "Greek Message Viewer" until this
thread...

Wow! Cured much pain and agony! Thanks, Brana!

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson | mens |
| Analog Innovations | et |

Josh
Ditto
m***@gmail.com
2018-04-17 17:43:12 UTC
Post by Suzannah
I am using Eudora 7.1 on Windows XP. I sometimes get altered characters as
you can see below. Is there something I can change in my settings to
overcome this?
From an email sent by Amazon:-
[...]
I don't know if this thread is still active but if it is...

I have installed Brana's "Greek message viewer" and it is great. I can actually read the messages. Hooray!

That said, there are some functions and buttons that I would very much like to use: Reply, Forward, etc. All of these seem to be greyed out and I've tried everything I can think of to make them work. I'm sure it's something very simple. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks... Bob