Stunnel for Eudora is obsolete (repost, forgot download link)
n***@gmail.com
2018-09-07 15:29:36 UTC
One of the enduring problems with Eudora is its lack of support for modern SSL; another is its root certificate store, which was last updated in 2005. In the past, workarounds (such as tunnelling through with Stunnel) were therefore necessary for Eudora to authenticate and interface with SMTP servers. As of to-day, that is no longer the case.

The HERMES project has just released updated binaries for QCSSL (Eudora's OpenSSL driver) and an updated root cert store, all in one .ZIP file for easy installation. Simply download it at https://sourceforge.net/projects/hermesmail/files/hermssl.zip/download and extract it to your Eudora program files directory.

What's this you hear about HERMES? Well, our over-riding goal is to release a true successor to Eudora 7.1, the last real version of QUALCOMM Eudora. For legal reasons, we can't *call* it Eudora, so it's been rechristened HERMES Mail, but it is based on the same great codebase and might as well be called Eudora Lazarus Edition.

Of course, the magnitude of the project is comparable to what Herakles had to deal with when made to tidy up King Augeas' stables. It could not, and can not, be done without the support of the Eudora user community. This support can come in one of two forms: labour and money. If you are capable of contributing labour (i.e. you can code in C++), we need that most of all; feel free to contact me at ***@gmail.com. You can also contribute money through PayPal (same address); it'll be disbursed appropriately and absolutely, positively won't go up my nose. Finally, we have a Kickstarter, which is available at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1313324524/hermes-eudoras-next-generation?ref=user_menu

N. E. Werner-Matavka
Sid Elbow
2018-09-07 17:19:46 UTC
Post by n***@gmail.com
One of the enduring problems with Eudora is its lack of support for modern SSL; another is its root certificate store, which was last updated in 2005. In the past, workarounds (such as tunnelling through with Stunnel) were therefore necessary for Eudora to authenticate and interface with SMTP servers. As of to-day, that is no longer the case.
The HERMES project has just released updated binaries for QCSSL (Eudora's OpenSSL driver) and an updated root cert store, all in one .ZIP file for easy installation. Simply download it at https://sourceforge.net/projects/hermesmail/files/hermssl.zip/download and extract it to your Eudora program files directory.
Haven't tried it myself but initial reports from the Eudora Listmom's
list are not encouraging. Think I'll wait and see.

What level of beta (or even alpha) testing do you do with this stuff
before releasing it?
Dennis Lee Bieber
2018-09-07 21:50:22 UTC
Post by Sid Elbow
What level of beta (or even alpha) testing do you do with this stuff
before releasing it?
The download page does state "ALPHA"
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
***@ix.netcom.com HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
Sid Elbow
2018-09-08 00:42:18 UTC
Thanks, Dennis - must confess I didn't notice that.
Nick Werner-Matavka
The HERMES project in general IS alpha quality, as the SourceForge page ought to tell you, BUT! The QCSSL.DLL I put together with Pete MacLean is actually the gamma release. The problems the Listmoms people were having stemmed from an error I made. I accidentally used the wrong version of OpenSSL. That was fixed within an hour of the first error report. If you download it now and follow the instructions in the readme, it WILL work.
Bill McIntyre
2018-09-08 17:50:49 UTC
Post by Nick Werner-Matavka
Post by Sid Elbow
Post by n***@gmail.com
[...]
I've tried the update twice, on two different Win 7 systems (64-bit), and it doesn't work on either one of them. I downloaded the updated HermSSL.zip & copied the four x64 files into the Eudora directory... still doesn't work. Can't connect to any of my email providers, with "Error reading from network." Both my Win 7 systems have Microsoft C++ 2015 version installed. I was somewhat surprised the new QCSSL.dll file was only 79kB in size, whereas the original QCSSL.dll file is 496kB in size.

Any suggestions on what else to try?

Thanks in advance!

Bill
Sid Elbow
2018-09-09 17:44:57 UTC
Post by Nick Werner-Matavka
The HERMES project in general IS alpha quality, as the SourceForge page ought to tell you,
I believe you ..... but fwiw, "alpha" to me (I'm old school) is an
issue released for in house "lab" test only; before any release to
end-users. "Beta" is a limited release to selected end-users to get
wider field experience before general, public release.

In this case, with the limited user base for Eudora, the "selected
end-users" is likely to comprise that whole user base and I don't
minimise your difficulty in that respect. However, I don't believe that
any software producer should release alpha quality material to end-users
and the fact of doing so in this case probably explains a lot of the
current difficulty.
Orlando Enrique Fiol
2018-09-10 00:25:45 UTC
Post by Sid Elbow
What level of beta (or even alpha) testing do you do with this stuff
before releasing it?
Evidently none. After finally obtaining the download URL, downloading,
unzipping and copying the drivers to my Eudora directory under Program Files
(x86), Eudora could no longer retrieve my mail regardless of server settings.
After looking forward to this problem being solved, I reluctantly reverted to
my original SSL certificates and drivers.
--
Orlando Enrique Fiol
Ph.D. Candidate in Music Theory