Eudora in Win10
Thibaud Taudin Chabot
2015-12-27 11:40:07 UTC
Yesterday my pc upgraded to Win10.
When I try to start Eudora I get the message:
"The directory spicified in the commandline
Files
doesn't exist or is not writable

When I click on OK I get the following message:
"Cannot start Eudora the first time with attachments.
Please start Eudora by double clicking the Eudora icon or by the
command line".

Eudora is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Qualcomm\Eudora
The datafile is in F:\EudoraData

Double clicking on the eudora.exe in C:\Program Files
(x86)\Qualcomm\Eudora gives the same result.
I have the latest paid version.

What is wrong and how to correct it?
Micky
2015-12-27 17:45:51 UTC
On Sun, 27 Dec 2015 12:40:07 +0100, Thibaud Taudin Chabot
Post by Thibaud Taudin Chabot
Yesterday my pc upgraded to Win10.
All by itself?

From what?
Post by Thibaud Taudin Chabot
"The directory spicified in the commandline
Files
doesn't exist or is not writable
"Cannot start Eudora the first time with attachments.
Please start Eudora by double clicking the Eudora icon or by the
command line".
Eudora is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Qualcomm\Eudora
The datafile is in F:\EudoraData
Double clicking on the eudora.exe in C:\Program Files
(x86)\Qualcomm\Eudora gives the same result.
I have the latest paid version.
What is wrong and how to correct it?
Where is the ini file, eudora.ini? It should be with the data,
because it gets updated, and not with the program. Deudora.ini is
not a problem afaicr.
Ajo Wissink
2015-12-27 21:14:55 UTC
On Sun, 27 Dec 2015 12:40:07 +0100, Thibaud Taudin Chabot
Post by Thibaud Taudin Chabot
Yesterday my pc upgraded to Win10.
"The directory spicified in the commandline
Files
doesn't exist or is not writable
"Cannot start Eudora the first time with attachments.
Please start Eudora by double clicking the Eudora icon or by the
command line".
Eudora is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Qualcomm\Eudora
The datafile is in F:\EudoraData
Double clicking on the eudora.exe in C:\Program Files
(x86)\Qualcomm\Eudora gives the same result.
I have the latest paid version.
What is wrong and how to correct it?
It's probably one of those Windows things.

More people have encountered the same problem and they could fix it by
starting Eudora with a shortcut on the desktop, but before doing that
they had to fix what's in the Target field of that shortcut
(right-click on the shortcut to get to the properties).

The Target should show:

"path to eudora.exe" "path to the data directory", so in your case it
should be:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Qualcomm\Eudora\eudora.exe" "F:\EudoraData"

Don't forget the quote marks.

Sometimes, for unknown reasons, Windows neglects to put the path to
the data directory in the shortcut.

Ajo Wissink
Micky
2015-12-27 21:19:46 UTC
On Sun, 27 Dec 2015 17:14:55 -0400, Ajo Wissink
Post by Micky
[...]
Much better answer than mine!
Ajo Wissink
Thibaud Taudin Chabot
That worked, thanks.
m***@googlemail.com
2016-01-03 17:17:35 UTC
I've been using Eudora for mmmnnmnmn years and it's probably the main reason I've held back from accepting my FREE! upgrade to W10. (Apart from the continual annoying pop-ups, that is.)

It seems from this thread that my fears are unfounded and it that it will continue to work (7.1.0.9). Just to confirm, then, I can upgrade to W10 from W7 and at worst I might have to fix a few paths?
Or would it be better to reinstall?

TIA,
Malcolm
Micky
2016-01-03 20:12:48 UTC
Post by m***@googlemail.com
I've been using Eudora for mmmnnmnmn years and it's probably the main reason I've held back from accepting my FREE! upgrade to W10. (Apart from the continual annoying pop-ups, that is.)
It seems from this thread that my fears are unfounded and it that it will continue to work (7.1.0.9). Just to confirm, then, I can upgrade to W10 from W7 and at worst I might have to fix a few paths?
Or would it be better to reinstall?
TIA,
Malcolm
I think the recommendation is to copy all the program files to the
desired location, to copy all the data files to the desired location,
created the shortcut icon correctly (a slightly-modified? copy of the
one you have now, since w7 also has protected areas), make sure it's
working, and then reinstall it. IIUC if you don't reinstall, or do
something similar, it won't be the default mailer which means that
clicking on mailto links and email addresses in your web browser won't
call Eudora.

Before you do all this, set aside (or know that your w7 source will
still be available) so that after you reinstall, you can copy the
patched version of QCSSL.dll in place of the version that gets
installed during your install. You probably did this when you
installed in win7, or you would have a problem. If you don't have
this newer version, the first time you fetch mail after opening Eudora
will take much longer than normal, and may cause a timeout. If you
lose track of which version is the newer version, you can download it
from sources that have been listed here. There are also
instructions for modifying your own copy, which I think would change
the date-modified date, so you'll be able to distinguish the patched
version from other versions.
Micky
2016-01-03 21:23:13 UTC
Post by Micky
Post by m***@googlemail.com
I've been using Eudora for mmmnnmnmn years and it's probably the main reason I've held back from accepting my FREE! upgrade to W10. (Apart from the continual annoying pop-ups, that is.)
It seems from this thread that my fears are unfounded and it that it will continue to work (7.1.0.9). Just to confirm, then, I can upgrade to W10 from W7 and at worst I might have to fix a few paths?
Or would it be better to reinstall?
TIA,
Malcolm
I think the recommendation is to copy all the program files to the
If you meant "upgrade in place" then no need to copy.
Thibaud Taudin Chabot
2016-01-03 20:57:53 UTC
Post by m***@googlemail.com
I've been using Eudora for mmmnnmnmn years and it's probably the main reason I've held back from accepting my FREE! upgrade to W10. (Apart from the continual annoying pop-ups, that is.)
It seems from this thread that my fears are unfounded and it that it will continue to work (7.1.0.9). Just to confirm, then, I can upgrade to W10 from W7 and at worst I might have to fix a few paths?
Or would it be better to reinstall?
TIA,
Malcolm
I didn't copy anything, just upgraded to win 10.
After that I had to start the first time from the command line with the
extra parameter where to find my data files that were on a different
drive/folder then Eudora. Like this:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Qualcomm\Eudora\eudora.exe" "F:\EudoraData"
After that everything in Eudora worked as before.
Thibaud
pedro
2016-01-04 03:44:33 UTC
Post by m***@googlemail.com
Just to confirm, then, I can upgrade to W10 from W7 and at worst I might have to fix a few paths?
Or would it be better to reinstall?
On the Eudora front, seemingly yes. On the wider front, you may have
to adjust your small-o outlook and look for a way to backtrack to W7.
Hint: consider cloning your W7 HDD before trying the "upgrade"
Helen Bradley
2023-02-27 16:12:26 UTC
Post by Thibaud Taudin Chabot
Yesterday my pc upgraded to Win10.
"The directory specified in the commandline
Files
doesn't exist or is not writable
"Cannot start Eudora the first time with attachments.
Please start Eudora by double clicking the Eudora icon or by the
command line".
Eudora is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Qualcomm\Eudora
The datafile is in F:\EudoraData
Double clicking on the eudora.exe in C:\Program Files
(x86)\Qualcomm\Eudora gives the same result.
I have the latest paid version.
What is wrong and how to correct it?
I simply edited the command line in the icon that I click to start Eudora to include the path to the data files and it worked a treat. My Eudora broke this morning after a Windows 11 update. Adding the data path to the icon fixed it quickly and easily.

*** I know, I'm still using Eudora 7 in 2023 because it works just fine and I love that mail folders and email contents are stored independently of each other ***
gnuarm.del...@gmail.com
2023-03-01 05:23:21 UTC
Post by Helen Bradley
[...]
Maybe you could give an example of the command line so others can see the syntax?
--
Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Joe
2023-03-03 12:40:51 UTC
Post by ***@gmail.com
Post by Helen Bradley
[...]
In my case in the shortcut properties:

Where Eudora is & where the data is.
Target: D:\Eudora\Eudora.exe "E:\work\Eudora"

Start in:
D:\Eudora
Alwyn Adkins
Hi Helen, Windows 10 is blocking me from running the installer for Eudora 7; could I ask when you actually installed it and did you get around the blocking? Thanks very much.
gnuarm.del...@gmail.com
2023-05-13 22:55:57 UTC
Post by Alwyn Adkins
Post by Helen Bradley
[...]
Can you explain what you see when you try to install Eudora under Windows 10? Saying it is "blocked" without any details is not much to go on. Please provide as much detail as possible.