Stopping the massive headers in v7.1
j***@unspameljefe.net
2010-10-21 07:49:47 UTC
I installed Eudora 7.1 on my laptop. No matter what Ido, I can't seem
to stop it from showing massive headers on incoming mail. I've tried
putting X- commands into TabooHeaders in eudora.ini, and that hasn't
worked.

I don't have this problem with v6.2 on my desktop. Any suggestions?

Thanks.,

JJ
Just Judy
2010-10-21 11:49:32 UTC
Post by j***@unspameljefe.net
I installed Eudora 7.1 on my laptop. No matter what Ido, I can't seem
to stop it from showing massive headers on incoming mail. I've tried
putting X- commands into TabooHeaders in eudora.ini, and that hasn't
worked.
I don't have this problem with v6.2 on my desktop. Any suggestions?
Do you have the "blah, blah, blah" headers turned on?

From the Help Menu: "BLAH, BLAH, BLAH Icon: Click this button
to expand and display all message headers for this message."

If you're talking about the wee-bit fewer headers, but still
FAR too many, I can't help you and will eagerly await the response of
the experts here.

An expert-wannabe a/k/a
--
Judy~
http://www.frugalsites.net/911/sept11.html
Joe Makowiec
2010-10-21 12:03:07 UTC
Post by j***@unspameljefe.net
I installed Eudora 7.1 on my laptop. No matter what Ido, I can't seem
to stop it from showing massive headers on incoming mail. I've tried
putting X- commands into TabooHeaders in eudora.ini, and that hasn't
worked.
I don't have this problem with v6.2 on my desktop. Any suggestions?
Do a web search for 'eudora tabooheaders'. This should get you started:

http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/ini.html
--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
Just Judy
2010-10-21 12:18:25 UTC
On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 12:03:07 +0000 (UTC), Joe Makowiec
Post by Joe Makowiec
Post by j***@unspameljefe.net
I installed Eudora 7.1 on my laptop. No matter what Ido, I can't seem
to stop it from showing massive headers on incoming mail. I've tried
putting X- commands into TabooHeaders in eudora.ini, and that hasn't
worked.
I don't have this problem with v6.2 on my desktop. Any suggestions?
http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/ini.html
Hi, Joe,

Thanks for the link, but it didn't help. :(

Below is an example of the headers on an incoming e-mail, and I
have blah,blah,blah turned off.

If there is a way to turn all of that off, or at least
everything not specifically showing to/from/subject/date, I'd be
eternally grateful! I am running both Eudora 7.1.0.9 (shaddup John
Meyers <G>) and Eudora 4.2, and these overblown headers appear in both
versions.

Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 09:01:41 -0500
From: JG <popperto snipped
To: Judy <***@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Saturday's party
John H Meyers
2010-10-22 06:40:54 UTC
Post by Just Judy
Thanks for the link, but it didn't help. :(
First off, let me point out that "massive headers"
are sender-generated (usually by sender's SMTP server,
sometimes more by incoming anti-spam scanners and the like).

Eudora places all "header screening" under user control --
good news for some people, bad news
("good grief, now what do I have to do?") for other people,
who would rather have a smooth "automatic transmission"
than a demanding "manual stick shift" :)

Hope this link helps:

"How to stop rubbish displaying at top of incoming message?"
http://eudorabb.qualcomm.com/showthread.php?t=15888

(follow the bread crumb trail to as much further info
as you feel comfortable to wade into :)

Dennis Lee Bieber
2010-10-22 07:07:33 UTC
On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 08:18:25 -0400, Just Judy
Post by Just Judy
If there is a way to turn all of that off, or at least
everything not specifically showing to/from/subject/date, I'd be
eternally grateful! I am running both Eudora 7.1.0.9 (shaddup John
Meyers <G>) and Eudora 4.2, and these overblown headers appear in both
versions.
c=1 sm=1 a=ZabaJhlDwtIA:10 a=8nJEP1OIZ-IA:10
a=IiOvj9rtCvREd4ElwhSEpQ==:17
a=4VmBzx_wDIySB2VsbXIA:9 a=rNbNtWP-tHyN0cQyXKcA:7
a=Uje1rYHGNOvUvM7LaAKcX7CRLUUA:4 a=wPNLvfGTeEIA:10
a=TZ7I+x5xFYKGq5oEFau7ag==:117
Out of curiosity (with Eudora shutdown), exactly how does the
content of the message appear if you open the mailbox (MBX file) in
notepad/wordpad/other-text-editor.

In standard RFC821/822 (and newer versions) email, the END of the
headers is defined by a blank line. Given that the first line you showed
is something inserted by a SPAM checker I have a suspicion that the
checker is adding a blank line and turning all subsequent headers into
"body"...

In the MBX file you should find something like:

-=-=-=-=-=-=-
From ???@??? Mon Jul 12 21:52:29 2010
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 18:23:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: ***@mail.doc.twai.gov
To: "***@ix.netcom.com" <***@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Pay.Gov Payment Confirmation

THIS IS AN AUTOMATED MESSAGE. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY.

Your transaction has been successfully completed.

Transaction Summary
-=-=-=-=-=-=-

What are considered headers will be everything between the "From
???" to the first blank line. Anything below the blank line is
considered "body" and no option will filter anything in that range.

Heck -- enable the BLAH/BLAH/BLAH icon and see if you get other
headers above that SPAM checker header, and if there is a blank space
between them.
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
***@ix.netcom.com HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
Ajo Wissink
2010-10-21 20:06:35 UTC
Post by j***@unspameljefe.net
I installed Eudora 7.1 on my laptop. No matter what Ido, I can't seem
to stop it from showing massive headers on incoming mail. I've tried
putting X- commands into TabooHeaders in eudora.ini, and that hasn't
worked.
I don't have this problem with v6.2 on my desktop. Any suggestions?
Thanks.,
JJ
TabooHeaders is a comma separated list of headers that will not show
when ShowAllHeaders is turned off. The easiest way to implement this
is with an Option:

<X-Eudora-Option:TabooHeaders=>

Copy the link and paste it in the body of a new message in Eudora.
Press the enter key once if the link doesn't appear in blue.Then hold
down the alt key while clicking the link. A "Change Option" window
will appear. In the "New Value" field type the headers you don't want
to see. If you just type the first letter of a header, then all
headers starting with that letter will be tabooed. You may want to
type a,b,c, etc ...... z, and omit d for Date, f for From, s for
Subject, t for To, and so forth

Using Content Concentrator you can achieve about the same results.
Jim Higgins
2010-10-22 14:59:01 UTC
On Thu, 21 Oct 2010 17:06:35 -0300, Ajo Wissink
Post by Ajo Wissink
Post by j***@unspameljefe.net
I installed Eudora 7.1 on my laptop. No matter what Ido, I can't seem
to stop it from showing massive headers on incoming mail. I've tried
putting X- commands into TabooHeaders in eudora.ini, and that hasn't
worked.
I don't have this problem with v6.2 on my desktop. Any suggestions?
Thanks.,
JJ
TabooHeaders is a comma separated list of headers that will not show
when ShowAllHeaders is turned off. The easiest way to implement this
<X-Eudora-Option:TabooHeaders=>
And here's a really fine (IMO) set of values to set for this option...

a,co,date-w,de,di,dk,do,e,fc,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n,o,p,q,r,se,st,th,u,v,w,x,y,z
--
Please don't be a "Help Vampire"
http://slash7.com/pages/vampires
j***@unspameljefe.net
2010-10-22 15:56:02 UTC
Post by Ajo Wissink
TabooHeaders is a comma separated list of headers that will not show
when ShowAllHeaders is turned off. The easiest way to implement this
<X-Eudora-Option:TabooHeaders=>
Copy the link and paste it in the body of a new message in Eudora.
Press the enter key once if the link doesn't appear in blue.Then hold
down the alt key while clicking the link. A "Change Option" window
will appear. In the "New Value" field type the headers you don't want
to see. If you just type the first letter of a header, then all
headers starting with that letter will be tabooed. You may want to
type a,b,c, etc ...... z, and omit d for Date, f for From, s for
Subject, t for To, and so forth
Using Content Concentrator you can achieve about the same results.
Well, here's what I found in the .ini of my desktop's v6.2. I'm just
going to copy it qll to the laptop's 7.1 and see what happens.

;TabooHeaders=X-,Return-Path,Authentication-Warning,Auth-Received,Received,Message-ID,UserAgent,MIME-Version,References,In-Reply-To,Content-Type,Content-Transfer-Encoding,Content-Disposition,Status,Originating-IP,Originating-Email,Sender,OriginalArrivalTime,Spam-Flag,Scanned-By,Spam-Status,Spam-Level,TrueSenderIP,
SenderHTTPUserAgent,Mailer,TrueHostName,WebServer,Queue,Accept-Language,ELNK-Trace,
Symantec-TimeoutProtection,MIMETrack,DomainKey-Signature,Importance,Organization,
XData

TabooHeaders=a,co,date-w,de,di,dk,do,e,fc,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n,o,p,q,r,se,st,th,u,v,w,x,y,z

JJ
b***@yahoo.com
So, what happened when you copied all that to 7.1's ini file?
JJ
It worked. The massive headers went away.
e***@yahoo.com
2018-05-12 03:02:46 UTC
Just in case anyone still reads this group...

I had the identical header issue turn up on the old XP (yeah, that's right) laptop again. If I hadn't done a search and come up with these posts from 6 to 8 years ago I'd still be wondering where and what.

Thing is, for the life of me I could not find eudora.ini! deudora, yeah, but not .ini. Took me half an hour of searching to figure out where it was and that it wasn't being called that! The old Help file reminded me that .ini is kept with the Mail folders. I was looking elsewhere. Turns out the address for it was C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Qualcomm\Eudora. Sheesh.

Since nothing was labeled .ini, I looked at the "Type" column and went with the one calling itself "Configuration Settings." Bingo.

Since any version of 6.2 is long gone on my machines, thank goodness I posted the Taboo Headers info back in 2012. I was able to copy it from here, paste it into [Settings], and everything was back to normal.

Needless to say, I have now created a shortcut on my desktop to that file. But yipes, what a hassle. And no, I have no idea how the Taboo Headers info I installed six years ago disappeared. But also needless to say, thanks to everyone who posted back then, even though at least one of them is no longer with us.

I really should bookmark this page. LOL!

JJ
Dennis Lee Bieber
2018-05-12 16:27:32 UTC
Post by e***@yahoo.com
Thing is, for the life of me I could not find eudora.ini! deudora, yeah, but not .ini. Took me half an hour of searching to figure out where it was and that it wasn't being called that! The old Help file reminded me that .ini is kept with the Mail folders. I was looking elsewhere. Turns out the address for it was C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Qualcomm\Eudora. Sheesh.
You are either running from the admin login, or using a shortcut with
an explicit data path... And if the latter, and you do not have admin
privileges -- anything goes.

Otherwise, the eudora.ini should be found in the "data" path shown in
"help/about eudora".
g***@gmail.com
2015-08-06 18:26:51 UTC
Post by j***@unspameljefe.net
I installed Eudora 7.1 on my laptop. No matter what Ido, I can't seem
to stop it from showing massive headers on incoming mail. I've tried
putting X- commands into TabooHeaders in eudora.ini, and that hasn't
worked.
I don't have this problem with v6.2 on my desktop. Any suggestions?
Thanks.,
JJ
Removing Massive Headers:
Using Eudora 7.1.0.9 with Windows XP worked well with minimized headers.
Transferring everything to a new PC with Windows 8.1 also worked OK, without an increase in the Headers. But when I upgraded to Windows 10, I had to reinstall the program because of multiple Eudora.ini files. It also required cleaning all Eudora mention from the Registry, using FIND: Qualcomm and Eudora.
After re-installation I had Massive Headers.

The way to remove some or all of the headers is to insert one line in {Settings]area of Eudora.ini:

1. The following does not work in Windows 10: X-Eudora-Option:ShowAllHeaders=0
2. The other solution, found elsewhere on the web work very well:
TabooHeaders=List,X,X-CAA-SPAM: 00000,X-Authority-Analysis: v=2.1 cv=O6fEx0JW c=1 sm=1 tr=0,X-Received:,X-Original-Authentication-Results:,X-Forwarded-To,X-Feedback-ID:,X-CMAE-Score:,
X-CMAE-Analysis:,Precedence:,References:,Unsubscribe:,
DKIM-Signature:,Authentication-Results:,Received:,Return-Path:

That line reduced my Header from more than >2 screens worth to just a few lines.

One can add any <X-title:> to the list. Do not add spaces to the listing, where all items are comma separated, as shown.
I printed out on typical massive header, copied all the items I wanted to remove and added them to the list.
f***@gmail.com
2018-07-29 15:49:46 UTC
Post by j***@unspameljefe.net
I installed Eudora 7.1 on my laptop. No matter what Ido, I can't seem
to stop it from showing massive headers on incoming mail. I've tried
putting X- commands into TabooHeaders in eudora.ini, and that hasn't
worked.
I don't have this problem with v6.2 on my desktop. Any suggestions?
Thanks.,
JJ

Hi,
I think the solution is in Eudora itself.

Open Eudora then go to "Tools" then "Options" and from Options select the third category from bottom and it is called "Content Concentrator".

Once you are there adjust the Single Messages Profile on the right hand side.

I tried the second one which is "Messages Window" and set it to compact.

The headers disappered but if you need to see the headers for some reason then click on BLAH BLAH.

Have a go yourself and good luck.

Faisal
Just Judy <>
2018-10-09 14:23:57 UTC
Post by f***@gmail.com
Post by j***@unspameljefe.net
. No matter what Ido, I can't seem
to stop it from showing massive headers on incoming mail. I've tried
putting X- commands into TabooHeaders in eudora.ini, and
I think the solution is in Eudora itself.
Open Eudora then go to "Tools" then "Options" and from Options select the third category from bottom and it is called "Content Concentrator".
Once you are there adjust the Single Messages Profile on the right hand side.
I tried the second one which is "Messages Window" and set it to compact.
The headers disappered but if you need to see the headers for some reason then click on BLAH BLAH.
Faisal,

You are my hero. Thanks so much. Your solution was simple
and worked immediately.

Best regards,
Judy~
Jim H