Eudora open-sourced, C++ programmers desperately needed, let's get our favourite mail client up to date!
n***@gmail.com
2018-06-01 15:18:24 UTC
Hi all,

As you may know, the source code for our dearly beloved Qualcomm
Eudora eMail client was released under an open-source licence just a
week ago! As a big Eudora fan, I have taken the project under my
wing. I am looking for programmers to help out with resuming
development; accordingly, I have begun a project under the name Hermes
Messenger (https://sourceforge.net/projects/hermesmail/).

To do:

Globally replace string "Qualcomm Eudora" with "Hermes Messenger"
(legal reasons)
Update rich-text rendering engine; if possible, scrap and replace
with (modified?) Gecko or WebKit
Improve Unicode handling
Replace defunct Qualcomm Web search with Google or Yandex
An installer compatible with Windows Vista and better
out-of-the-box (NSIS might turn the trick?)
Cross-platform rebuild (C#/Avalonia perhaps?)
Figure out a replacement for RogueWave Stingray (MUST DO!)
Internationalisation and localisation
Do something with those god damn certificates!

Stingray (a MAJOR dependency) is not yet included in the source tree,
but discussions aimed at obtaining it(either as source or binary) are
under way. It WILL be included in the near future, but "writing around
it" (i.e. coding a replacement) IS A PRIORITY. The code is 20 years
old, legally encumbered, and will not compile on a modern system.

Applicants absolutely must be proficient in C++ and should understand
how to use the Hg source-management system. The latter is not a strict
requirement (instruction in Hg use will be given if needed) but
foreknowledge would be greatly appreciated. A basic understanding of
SQL is desirable as well.

Cordially,

Nick Werner-Matavka
Jim H
2018-06-01 18:13:54 UTC
On Fri, 1 Jun 2018 08:18:24 -0700 (PDT), in
Post by n***@gmail.com
Hi all,
As you may know, the source code for our dearly beloved Qualcomm
Eudora eMail client was released under an open-source licence just a
week ago! As a big Eudora fan, I have taken the project under my
wing.
[ snip ]
Post by n***@gmail.com
Update rich-text rendering engine; if possible, scrap and replace
with (modified?) Gecko or WebKit
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't improve rich-text (HTML) rendering to the
point that it will render potentially malicious content. Continue to
allow the user to disable all but the current basic rendering.
Post by n***@gmail.com
Improve Unicode handling
Yes! Sick and tired of a bunch of high ASCII characters in some UTF-8
messages.

Please provide an option to store sent messages as plain text - none
of those useless HTML tags - when no rich text was present in the
first place.

Thanks and good luck!
Jim H
g***@gmail.com
2018-06-01 23:08:12 UTC
Post by n***@gmail.com
[...]
Any idea how many Eudora users there still are? Just curious.

Rick C.
Steve Urbach
2018-06-02 16:05:36 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Any idea how many Eudora users there still are? Just curious.
Rick C.
Me :D
Paid to current (7) since 2.0
Mutley
2018-06-03 02:57:00 UTC
Post by Steve Urbach
Post by g***@gmail.com
Any idea how many Eudora users there still are? Just curious.
Rick C.
Me :D
Paid to current (7) since 2.0
My M-in-law still uses 7.0 paid but I gave up a couple of years ago
and went to Office 365..

It was a great email client in it's day. May have another look at it
if there is an update to the code..
g***@gmail.com
2018-06-03 05:55:10 UTC
Post by Mutley
Post by Steve Urbach
Post by g***@gmail.com
Any idea how many Eudora users there still are? Just curious.
Rick C.
Me :D
Paid to current (7) since 2.0
My M-in-law still uses 7.0 paid but I gave up a couple of years ago
and went to Office 365..
It was a great email client in it's day. May have another look at it
if there is an update to the code..
Just curious, what did you find lacking?

For me, the only issues I have are a few problems with viewing emails and the problems with getting it to work with new ISPs, mostly they don't want to be bothered with getting "obsolete" software to work with their stuff.

Rick C.
Larc
2018-06-03 06:23:53 UTC
On Sat, 2 Jun 2018 22:55:10 -0700 (PDT), ***@gmail.com wrote:

| Just curious, what did you find lacking?
|
| For me, the only issues I have are a few problems with viewing emails and the problems with getting it to work with new ISPs, mostly they don't want to be bothered with getting
| "obsolete" software to work with their stuff.

I have replied to email using Eudora a few times when the recipent sees only a blank
message section.

Larc
g***@gmail.com
2018-06-03 06:28:35 UTC
Post by Larc
| Just curious, what did you find lacking?
|
| For me, the only issues I have are a few problems with viewing emails and the problems with getting it to work with new ISPs, mostly they don't want to be bothered with getting
| "obsolete" software to work with their stuff.
I have replied to email using Eudora a few times when the recipent sees only a blank
message section.
That might have something to do with using HTML in messages. I know I see funny things sometimes in viewing messages where HTML settings persist from one section to the next. I don't think Eudora handles HTML as well as newer programs.

Rick C.
micky
2018-08-01 03:26:27 UTC
In comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows, on Sun, 03 Jun 2018 02:23:53 -0400, Larc
Post by Larc
| Just curious, what did you find lacking?
|
| For me, the only issues I have are a few problems with viewing emails and the problems with getting it to work with new ISPs, mostly they don't want to be bothered with getting
| "obsolete" software to work with their stuff.
The secret to that problem is never mention Eudora when dealing with
customer service. To rephrase questions in terms they are used to.

I've been doing that since 8 years before Eudora was no longer
maintained.

But since the web has become popular, POP settings are almost always
given on the web for any ISP I've dealt with, so I see the settings
there and that takes care fo things.
Post by Larc
I have replied to email using Eudora a few times when the recipent sees only a blank
message section.
Did you see the email before you sent it. Was it blank then? Were you
using version the latest version, 7.1?
Larc
Jim H
2018-06-03 17:12:13 UTC
On Sat, 2 Jun 2018 22:55:10 -0700 (PDT), in
Post by g***@gmail.com
Post by Mutley
Post by Steve Urbach
Post by g***@gmail.com
Any idea how many Eudora users there still are? Just curious.
Rick C.
Me :D
Paid to current (7) since 2.0
My M-in-law still uses 7.0 paid but I gave up a couple of years ago
and went to Office 365..
It was a great email client in it's day. May have another look at it
if there is an update to the code..
Just curious, what did you find lacking?
For me, the only issues I have are a few problems with viewing emails and the problems with getting it to work with new ISPs, mostly they don't want to be bothered with getting "obsolete" software to work with their stuff.
Huh? Eudora works with both POP and IMAP. It does SSL/TLS. What more
is there?

The setup problem you describe sounds like nothing more than your own
inability to enter the correct server, ID and password info needed to
set up Eudora to work with a new email provider.
Jim H
Tim Streater
2018-06-03 17:26:44 UTC
Post by Jim H
Huh? Eudora works with both POP and IMAP. It does SSL/TLS. What more
is there?
More recent levels of SSL/TLS. I expect what Eudora implements is
obsolete.
Post by Jim H
The setup problem you describe sounds like nothing more than your own
inability to enter the correct server, ID and password info needed to
set up Eudora to work with a new email provider.
I never figured out what the personalities stuff was supposed to be
about. In my client I just enter different accounts with different ISP
details. Simples.
--
"Once you adopt the unix paradigm, the variants cease to be a problem - you
bitch, of course, but that's because bitching is fun, unlike M$ OS's, where
bitching is required to keep your head from exploding." - S Stremler in afc
micky
2018-08-01 04:58:16 UTC
In comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows, on Sun, 03 Jun 2018 18:26:44 +0100, Tim
Post by Tim Streater
Post by Jim H
Huh? Eudora works with both POP and IMAP. It does SSL/TLS. What more
is there?
More recent levels of SSL/TLS. I expect what Eudora implements is
obsolete.
Not true. It works fine with the most recent levels.

Somweone is spreading the story you've repeated but it's not true.
Post by Tim Streater
Post by Jim H
The setup problem you describe sounds like nothing more than your own
inability to enter the correct server, ID and password info needed to
set up Eudora to work with a new email provider.
I never figured out what the personalities stuff was supposed to be
about. In my client I just enter different accounts with different ISP
details. Simples.
So you do understand personalities after all.

It's pretty clear to me that the first version of Eudora only envisioned
a person having one account, and the other accounts were added later --
I'll grant you that -- and the dominant account gets a tiny bit more
priority wrt implementation, although mostly this is relevant to people
with OCD who decide an account they got later is more important than the
one they got first and who are annoyed that the later one is not called
the dominant one. (On a scale of 1 to 20 this describes me at a 1 or
2 level, and I could redo things to make my important account the
dominent one but I'm too lazy.)
Tim Streater
2018-08-01 07:45:09 UTC
Post by Tim Streater
Post by Jim H
The setup problem you describe sounds like nothing more than your own
inability to enter the correct server, ID and password info needed to
set up Eudora to work with a new email provider.
I never figured out what the personalities stuff was supposed to be
about. In my client I just enter different accounts with different ISP
details. Simples.
So you do understand personalities after all.
It's pretty clear to me that the first version of Eudora only envisioned
a person having one account, and the other accounts were added later --
Then they should have been called, or later renamed, accounts.
--
"A committee is a cul-de-sac down which ideas are lured and then
quietly strangled." - Sir Barnett Cocks (1907-1989)
Dennis Lee Bieber
2018-08-01 13:22:34 UTC
Post by Tim Streater
Then they should have been called, or later renamed, accounts.
Except they ALSO include custom settings for signatures and stationery,
which are not things specific to ISP login "accounts". Furthermore, if one
has forwarding email address (my ACM and ARRL "accounts" aren't really
accounts -- there are no ACM/ARRL mail servers to which I connect; instead,
the ACM/ARRL forward any email to those addresses over to my ISP using the
address I registered for that purpose); then the "account" for mail
transfer is not the same address. Instead, one has to filter on receipt for
the forwarding address and /set the personality/ (so replies automatically
use the correct signature/stationery/etc.) and outgoing mail has to use a
relay personality.

You can have multiple personalities that all use the SAME account. My
ACM/ARRL personalities retrieve from and send through <dominant>, which is
an Earthlink (well, Netcom "netcruiser" before mergers) account. And even
calling my real (server-based) personalities "accounts" could be argued.
All four "accounts" (those with actual login/passwords with the ISP, and
servers for retrieval and sending) consist of just ONE BILLING "account"
(which is where "account" derives -- the identifier by which the service
provider billed one for use of their computer(s))

Pandora <http://www.drivehq.com/web/brana/pandora.htm> also refers to
them as "Personalities".

Forte Agent, OTOH, separates "Outgoing Servers" from "Incoming
Accounts" in configuration BUT on the message composition screen presents a
drop-down labeled "Persona" -- in this case, a persona defines an
associated email address, signature, servers to use, custom header fields
to insert in outgoing posts, and whether that persona can perform email,
usenet (fetch), and usenet (reply) operations.

While Pandora is being designed as a "work-alike" replacement for
Eudora, Agent is about as old as Eudora, so "personality"/"persona" is not
some strange terminology that only Eudora uses.
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
***@ix.netcom.com HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
Tim Streater
2018-08-01 21:28:33 UTC
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
Post by Tim Streater
Then they should have been called, or later renamed, accounts.
Except they ALSO include custom settings for signatures and stationery,
which are not things specific to ISP login "accounts".
None of this is particularly profound and I've implemented quite a lot
of it in my email client.
--
The EU Parliament. The only parliament in the world that can neither initiate
nor repeal legislation.

Robert Kimbell
micky
2018-08-02 00:48:42 UTC
In comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows, on Wed, 01 Aug 2018 22:28:33 +0100, Tim
Post by Tim Streater
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
Post by Tim Streater
Then they should have been called, or later renamed, accounts.
Except they ALSO include custom settings for signatures and stationery,
which are not things specific to ISP login "accounts".
None of this is particularly profound and I've implemented quite a lot
of it in my email client.
Non sequitur.

His point was not that Eudora was better than your client, or even as
good, or that it had more features, but that there were reasons to call
them personalities and not, for example, accounts. Besides the two
lines you quoted, he gave other reasons too.
Mutley
2018-06-03 22:42:43 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Post by Mutley
Post by Steve Urbach
Post by g***@gmail.com
Any idea how many Eudora users there still are? Just curious.
Rick C.
Me :D
Paid to current (7) since 2.0
My M-in-law still uses 7.0 paid but I gave up a couple of years ago
and went to Office 365..
It was a great email client in it's day. May have another look at it
if there is an update to the code..
Just curious, what did you find lacking?
For me, the only issues I have are a few problems with viewing emails and the problems with getting it to work with new ISPs, mostly they don't want to be bothered with getting "obsolete" software to work with their stuff.
Rick C.
No calendar integration mainly. Outlook.com and Outlook 365 client
now suite me better.
Jim H
2018-06-05 05:49:27 UTC
On Mon, 04 Jun 2018 10:42:43 +1200, in
Post by Mutley
Post by g***@gmail.com
Post by Mutley
Post by Steve Urbach
Post by g***@gmail.com
Any idea how many Eudora users there still are? Just curious.
Rick C.
Me :D
Paid to current (7) since 2.0
My M-in-law still uses 7.0 paid but I gave up a couple of years ago
and went to Office 365..
It was a great email client in it's day. May have another look at it
if there is an update to the code..
Just curious, what did you find lacking?
For me, the only issues I have are a few problems with viewing emails and the problems with getting it to work with new ISPs, mostly they don't want to be bothered with getting "obsolete" software to work with their stuff.
Rick C.
No calendar integration mainly. Outlook.com and Outlook 365 client
now suite me better.
It doesn't do Usenet either... because it's an email client.

Go and add all the crap to it that Outlook does and then the
complaints about bloat will start. for myself, I'd love to see it do
Unicode, but if it becomes bloatware in order to do that then count me
out.
Jim H
n***@gmail.com
2018-06-02 18:29:04 UTC
There's a shit-ton of them, actually. There's a Eudora listserv at
eudora-***@hades.listmoms.net (you can join it by sending a message to
join-eudora-***@hades.listmoms.net with the word "Gazelle" in the
subject line).
Dennis Lee Bieber
2018-06-07 19:39:07 UTC
Post by g***@gmail.com
Any idea how many Eudora users there still are? Just curious.
I'm still running it -- though for the last two months it has been in
parallel with Pandora http://www.drivehq.com/web/brana/pandora.htm

There are some things Pandora does that I'd rather side-track (it tends
to require an on-line state since so many emails now include stuff that is
not downloaded as part of the POP3 message content).

Pandora seems to be the closest thing to a Eudora look-alike currently
available, though of course it is still under development (while is
supports the <ctrl-j> JUNK command, it does not have its own trainable junk
logic, and only looks for ISP provided SPAM scores).
Jim H
2018-06-07 20:08:05 UTC
On Thu, 07 Jun 2018 15:39:07 -0400, in
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
Post by g***@gmail.com
Any idea how many Eudora users there still are? Just curious.
I'm still running it -- though for the last two months it has been in
parallel with Pandora http://www.drivehq.com/web/brana/pandora.htm
There are some things Pandora does that I'd rather side-track (it tends
to require an on-line state since so many emails now include stuff that is
not downloaded as part of the POP3 message content).
Pandora seems to be the closest thing to a Eudora look-alike currently
available, though of course it is still under development (while is
supports the <ctrl-j> JUNK command, it does not have its own trainable junk
logic, and only looks for ISP provided SPAM scores).
Why do you say Pandora is still under development? There hasn't been
any visible progress that I can see since 2014. Is there perhaps a
website with more current info than the one at the link above?
Jim H
Dennis Lee Bieber
2018-06-08 14:07:16 UTC
Post by Jim H
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
Pandora seems to be the closest thing to a Eudora look-alike currently
available, though of course it is still under development (while is
supports the <ctrl-j> JUNK command, it does not have its own trainable junk
logic, and only looks for ISP provided SPAM scores).
Why do you say Pandora is still under development? There hasn't been
any visible progress that I can see since 2014. Is there perhaps a
website with more current info than the one at the link above?
I've had about 6 updates to the program since I paid to unlock the "one
personality, one signature, one filter..." demo mode... And that is only
since this March. (my archive shows I submitted a bug report on March 3 for
version 1.7.1.1, a feature request on March 21 for v1.7.2.1, and v1.7.6.1
came out a few weeks ago)

Don't go by the 2014 copyright on the release notes... I suspect he
never updates the original date. Unfortunately, the original forum site is
defunct (looks like I'll need to sign up again on the new site), so one can
not look at the list of releases there.
Jim H
2018-06-09 15:32:05 UTC
On Fri, 08 Jun 2018 10:07:16 -0400, in
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
Post by Jim H
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
[...]
And the "new site" is where?

I don't find anything at all interesting by Googling "Pandora email"
and various other terms I'd expect to produce useful results.
Jim H
Ajo Wissink
2018-06-09 15:40:09 UTC
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
Post by Jim H
Post by Dennis Lee Bieber
[...]
Brana sent the following email message:

We are glad to announce Pandora forum is back online and now hosted by
Forumotion:
http://pandoramail.forumotion.me/t1-welcome-to-pandora-forum-again

As old domain was abruptly "parked" (it's for sale now, rather than
off for good; it may re-emerge with the same content), re-registration
on the new site is necessary. If old site re-emerges, relevant content
will be merged with the new forum. Hopefully this one will last.

Best Regards,

Brana

Ajo Wissink
Dennis Lee Bieber
2018-06-09 17:12:45 UTC
Post by Jim H
And the "new site" is where?
The new /forum/ site is the one now linked to by the main Pandora site,
which URL I'd provided previously:

http://www.drivehq.com/web/brana/pandora.htm

"Pandora Mail Forum"
Post by Jim H
I don't find anything at all interesting by Googling "Pandora email"
and various other terms I'd expect to produce useful results.
Unfortunately -- most Google results tend to be for either the Pandora
streaming music system or a jewelry firm. In contrast a search for "eudora
plugins" has an auxiliary page as the first hit, and from that one can find
the Pandora link (Pandora is being developed by the author of the "Greek
Message Viewer" plugin).
Thibaud Taudin Chabot
https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2018/05/22/1510151/0/en/Computer-History-Museum-Makes-the-Eudora-Email-Client-Source-Code-Available-to-the-Public.html
Thibaud Taudin Chabot
2018-06-02 20:15:40 UTC
Post by n***@gmail.com
[...]
"The Computer History Museum has started a survey to determine if there's
enough interest in bringing Eudora back.

If you answer in the affirmative, do take the survey now, and let others
know as well."

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/eudora-poll1
e***@gmail.com
2020-01-26 00:33:19 UTC
Post by n***@gmail.com
[...]
Hi Nick,
I am a passionate user of Eudora.
I am not a programmer , I am an electronics engineer.
I collect email messages since day 1 when I started using Eudora over 20 years ago.
Now I have about 7 million emails in 475 mailboxes.
Over the years I developed a set of Eudora filters.
It works incredibly well.
I maintain it daily to keep up with spammers.
I hate them with a passion and I keep every one of them to test my new filters.
Before I discovered what you are doing I had an idea of setting up a crowdfunding the development of new Eudora with contributors having lifetime access to my filters.
Others might become members for a small fee.
Please give it some thought.
Perhaps I could collect enough to support my retirement. I am 74.
Rick C
2020-01-26 00:54:45 UTC
Post by e***@gmail.com
Post by n***@gmail.com
[...]
Nice idea, but Eudora has a pretty good spam filter built in. Also, something I do is to forward my email through Google who also has a pretty good spam filter. Use them together and I barely see two spams a day...

At least until someone starts a new spam campaign. A few months ago that was happening and I was seeing a dozen or more spams a day. I actually tried using the "unsubscribe" link and you know what? It worked!!! For a while. Then someone new would get the spam list and I'd start getting a few a day from them, unsubscribe and they'd go away. Eventually that quieted down. That was through an account that isn't routed through Google. Need to fix that.
--
Rick C.

- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging