OT how to remain anonymous
micky
2024-02-11 18:31:50 UTC
OT and OT for every group I can think of, but surely you all have other
interests in addition to the topic of the group?

If you write an insulting email to a member/employee of the government,
is it easy for them to trace the email address back to you? To your
name and address? Are there lists avaialble to them without a warrant?
Without a warrant, because they would have to lie to get a warrant,
since it's insulting but not threatening. (And not the current
president or his cabinet, who I don't expect to be vindictive and are
not the subject of my current ire anyhow. I'm thinking of someone else.)
Perhaps there is a way to stop this, like using a non-USA email address?
I haven't looked but there must be non-USA companies that, like Yahoo
and Gmail (American, right?) will give out free addresss, or one could
pay them too if it's worth it. Even serving a warrant on a foreign
email provider sounds harder than doing the same in the USA.

There used to be anonymous remailers and iirc, I had the software for
one, which I only used to give what I thought helpful advice to a friend
who would dislike the advice. But my recollection is that they made a
law which made it harder for anonymous remailers to work, is that right?
Cindy Hamilton
2024-02-11 21:43:58 UTC
Post by micky
OT and OT for every group I can think of, but surely you all have other
interests in addition to the topic of the group?
If you write an insulting email to a member/employee of the government,
Why would you want to do anything but be completely professional?
Cindy Hamilton
micky
2024-02-12 02:18:39 UTC
In comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows, on Sun, 11 Feb 2024 21:43:58 GMT, Cindy
Post by Cindy Hamilton
Post by micky
OT and OT for every group I can think of, but surely you all have other
interests in addition to the topic of the group?
If you write an insulting email to a member/employee of the government,
Why would you want to do anything but be completely professional?
Because a few of them are vindictive. And some of them have more power
than the average person, either because of their job or the rest of
their situation.

And I challenge the idea that it's unprofessional when you have good
reason to want to protect yourself. It's neither professional nor
unprofessional.

About 35 years ago the reason was that I didn't want to get a reputation
as a complainer or troublemaker in my community, but I still wanted to
call attention to what others were doing wrong. Actually I wanted to
ask two of them how they got past what I considered the big objections
to what they were doing. I didn't use my name but I did use my address.
One didnt' answer and the other answered with hostility. I think I
leared that even if I think my logic is unassaible, those it negatively
impacts won't think so. But my reputation was still intact.

About 2 years after that, there were situations where the problems
happened in my presence, and I had to call attention to them right then
and there, for the benefit of those who didn't understand something had
been done wrong. For some I was tactful (though tact is often not
enough to stop people from being annoyed, to say the least. For others I
responded quickly, without tact. Sure enough, no one in authority
complained to *me* (only one person complained, and I partially knickled
under), but I didn't get promoted to a community position. Fortunately
I'd alreayd found something else I wanted to do more, but I still
noticed the silence from those who should have been calling me.

The older I get the less important this is. A big watershed occurred
when I retired. No one can interfere with my job now because I don't
have one.

Things that take time, years, to cause problems get gradually less
important as I have less time left, but otoh, I may not have 70 years
like I once did but I think I have 20 more years, until I'm 97, and
that's enough time for a lot of things to come back to haunt you and
hurt you.

One more related thing. When I was in law school several groups were
looking for members or participants. One was the National Lawyers
Guild. I didn't feel I had a lot of time for extra-curricular
activities, but if I had I might have enrolled without checking them out
well enough. There was no internet then. Fortunately for me perhaps,
one other student told me that they were considered far left and being
affiliated could hurt me when it came time to get a job. Only years
after I had dropped out of law school did I read references to their
being tied to Communists. There is tied and there is tied. I don't
know how tied they are and otoh I don't know how much I would have
appreciated their meetings. I know I'm the most stable person I know in
terms of my views, and they probably wouldn't have affected my views
much, but the 70's weren't so long after the McCarthyite period where
people who barely did anything, or nothing at all, got in big trouble.
If I wanted to join, it would have been better to join under another
name (or anonymously would be better yet). Though that would be
unprofessional. ;-)
Paul
2024-02-12 19:17:20 UTC
Post by Cindy Hamilton
Post by micky
OT and OT for every group I can think of, but surely you all have other
interests in addition to the topic of the group?
If you write an insulting email to a member/employee of the government,
Why would you want to do anything but be completely professional?
Because a few of them are vindictive. And some of them have more power
than the average person, either because of their job or the rest of
their situation.
I think you need a hobby.

*******

The best place to start, is the encyclopedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymous_remailer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tails_%28operating_system%29

To fully flesh out your character (in the marvel comic sense)
you will need to write a manifesto.

https://studentsunionucl.org/how-to/clubs-and-societies/how-to-write-manifesto

"Free the Dave Clark Five" <=== my Manifesto

There, now you're a radical.

Paul